Water dish and humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marginatedlover116

5 Year Member
I have a baby marginated tortoise and I would like to know should I keep a water dish in the cage? I've heard yes and now. Also what should his humidity be at?

LLLReptile

TFO Sponsor
5 Year Member
Marginatedlover116 said:
I have a baby marginated tortoise and I would like to know should I keep a water dish in the cage? I've heard yes and now. Also what should his humidity be at?

It doesn't hurt to provide a shallow water dish they can easily get in and out of. Ramp bowls work well for this.

Humidity - I wouldn't necessarily go by an exact number, but do provide at least one humid (nice and moist, moss-packed) hide. I typically recommend that folks keep a humid hide (if not the entire cage humid for babies) on both the warm and cool sides of the enclosure so the tortoise can choose its preferred temperature and humidity.

-Jen

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
Always provide clean drinking water for your tortoise. Always. The saucers that sit under planters work very well and are cheap. Inset this into the substrate so it can get in and out easily. Humid hides are great as well. Just keep your temps in the hides at like 80 degrees minimum.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Always keep water available 24/7. The saucers that sit under planters as Cowboy_Ken mentioned work the best. Most dishes made for reptiles/tortoises are not good at all

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Yes, always keep clean water available at all times, humidity should be somewhere around 40%

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I just use a spray bottle (1-2 times a day) to keep the substrate nice and moist, that will make it a fair amount more humid :) if your not around most of the day (or even if you are) just leave a humidifier in the room with them on a low setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.