Water dish placement

Jay Bagley

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
This is probably kind of a dumb question. I was wondering, when placing your water dish in your closed chamber, would it be beneficial or not to place it directly underneath one of the che's? I didn't know if the constant heat over-the-water dish would create any extra beneficial humidity or not. Are there any pros and cons to this, or am I better off just putting it in a neutral area. Thank you in advance for any input you have.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I probably over thought my water dish placement too. I put mine in an area of the enclosure that was about 90f. I wanted the water to be warm but not under any heat elements so that if he lounged in it his shell would not be drying out in the process. I also put it far enough from the wall of the enclosure that he had room to walk.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I probably over thought my water dish placement too. I put mine in an area of the enclosure that was about 90f. I wanted the water to be warm but not under any heat elements so that if he lounged in it his shell would not be drying out in the process. I also put it far enough from the wall of the enclosure that he had room to walk.
I really never even thought of that, that while he is soaking the above heat would be drying the shell out as well. That would be counterproductive. These are all great tips, thank you.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I put mine near but not directly under.
My hopes are that once he is in his closed chamber he will self soak. In his open-top enclosure he is in now, the water seldom gets above room temperature and I'm wondering if that's why he does not use it. I'll still soak him, but will be neat to see him hop in on his own.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Near, not under the CHE (like said above) and if you place it away from the edges of the enclosure with enough room for the tortoise to walk between the wall and the water dish, you'll find it stays cleaner, too. He won't track dirt into it like crazy :rolleyes: :tort:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've done it under the CHE, near the CHE, and away from the CHE. All were fine. Didn't have a problem with any location.

One thing I've started doing for little babies is using two water dishes. Doubles the chance they will stumble into it and drink or wet their shell for me.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I've done it under the CHE, near the CHE, and away from the CHE. All were fine. Didn't have a problem with any location.

One thing I've started doing for little babies is using two water dishes. Doubles the chance they will stumble into it and drink or wet their shell for me.
These are all such good tips!! Thank you so much you guys. I'm hoping to have it done here soon. Were using the Rust-Oleum countertop paint for the inside, we've been building in my dad's basement. The fumes that come out of the countertop paint are pretty strong, and since my mom has asthma we're waiting to be able to paint outside in the garage, says it needs to be a minimal of 50 degrees. So in the meantime I figured I'd ask questions like this, so I kind of have an idea in my head how to set things up. Thanks again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
These are all such good tips!! Thank you so much you guys. I'm hoping to have it done here soon. Were using the Rust-Oleum countertop paint for the inside, we've been building in my dad's basement. The fumes that come out of the countertop paint are pretty strong, and since my mom has asthma we're waiting to be able to paint outside in the garage, says it needs to be a minimal of 50 degrees. So in the meantime I figured I'd ask questions like this, so I kind of have an idea in my head how to set things up. Thanks again.
Please keep us posted on how well the countertop paint works for you. @Markw84 has recommended that paint, but I still haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes, you do need to be sure the temp is proper for that paint to cure properly. Since I only use it on the inside, I have run a space heater pointed into the enclosure to help things cure on days when the temp is a bit lower. Be sure you have used a good primer first. I like to use 2 coats on the inside and then put a 3rd coat on the bottom and up the sides about 6". I like to let it cure, once done, for about 5 days before putting a tortoise in.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Please keep us posted on how well the countertop paint works for you. @Markw84 has recommended that paint, but I still haven't had the opportunity to try it yet.
You got it!! Mark84's post of his build is what gave me the idea to use that paint. When I went into the hardware store asking for it, the guy at the counter replied that's really good stuff.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Yes, you do need to be sure the temp is proper for that paint to cure properly. Since I only use it on the inside, I have run a space heater pointed into the enclosure to help things cure on days when the temp is a bit lower. Be sure you have used a good primer first. I like to use 2 coats on the inside and then put a 3rd coat on the bottom and up the sides about 6". I like to let it cure, once done, for about 5 days before putting a tortoise in.
Thanks for the tip Mark, I did two coats so far of the primer. While I'm waiting for warmer weather, I will apply a 3rd to the bottom. Thank you again for posting your build, the information you provided was very helpful.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thanks for the tip Mark, I did two coats so far of the primer. While I'm waiting for warmer weather, I will apply a 3rd to the bottom. Thank you again for posting your build, the information you provided was very helpful.
Jay,

Don't know if I'm misunderstanding? You only need one coat of a good primer. It is meant to suck into the wood and not necessarily cover, color-wise. Just seal the wood. Then the two coats of the countertop paint, followed by another coat of countertop on the bottom and a bit up the sides for extra good coverage where the substrate will be in contact.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Jay,

Don't know if I'm misunderstanding? You only need one coat of a good primer. It is meant to suck into the wood and not necessarily cover, color-wise. Just seal the wood. Then the two coats of the countertop paint, followed by another coat of countertop on the bottom and a bit up the sides for extra good coverage where the substrate will be in contact.
Mark,

Yeah I did one coat of primer on the outside. Normally I only put one coat of primer on anyting. I hope it doesn't hurt but I did put two coats of primer on the inside. I got bored, since I couldn't paint the countertop paint on yet because of the chilly weather.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mark,

Yeah I did one coat of primer on the outside. Normally I only put one coat of primer on anyting. I hope it doesn't hurt but I did put two coats of primer on the inside. I got bored, since I couldn't paint the countertop paint on yet because of the chilly weather.

Won’t hurt but not necessary

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Won’t hurt but not necessary
Lol I know, had gone over there to put the countertop paint on. When we cracked the lid, the fumes got to my mother, and since I was over there and in the mood to work... Yeah I don't know why I did it. Thanks again for your help.