water dishes

tinkthetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
hi everyone - this is the water dish i have in my 11 year old russians tank, we got it so he could actually be in the dish whilst he drinks and apologies for the quality of the picture but the substrate is stacked up around it so it's secure. is this okay for him? i saw about high humidity and respiratory problems and now i'm extremely paranoid, i'm sure it's fine just wanting to be sure! thank you.

F8C872C2-0A43-4A7B-889D-F32C084B4A67.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings. Water dish looks fine, BUT your enclosure looks very small for an 11 year old Russian tortoise. Maybe it’s the angle / perspective of your pix. But given the size of the hide, I’m thinking your tort would appreciate a larger enclosure. But, dish looks good & sinking them down into the substrate is great. Easier for torts to get in & out.

tinkthetortoise

Uk
Greetings. Water dish looks fine, BUT your enclosure looks very small for an 11 year old Russian tortoise. Maybe it’s the angle / perspective of your pix. But given the size of the hide, I’m thinking your tort would appreciate a larger enclosure. But, dish looks good & sinking them down into the substrate is great. Easier for torts to get in & out.
thank you! and yes it's the angle of the picture - it's very long, would be great if it was a big bigger the other way but there is plenty of space for him. also loves coming out whenever the sun does too! thank you for the concern.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Russians need around 4x8 feet. I'm pretty sure your viv is smaller than that. Time for an upgrade.

Also, that substrate is dangerous and should not be used. The hay on top of the substrate is also a bad idea as it will mold.

Give this a read through:

Reactions: Ink