water in there viv?

Stez77

Location (City and/or State)
rhoose south wales uk
hi, just after soon advice, I've been told not to put water in the viv for my torts, i bath them every other day again thats what I've been told. any advice on this please?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
You have been told wrong. They need fresh, clean water available always. A terra cotta saucer works best. Big enough they can climb in and soak.

Stez77

rhoose south wales uk
You have been told wrong. They need fresh, clean water available always. A terra cotta saucer works best. Big enough they can climb in and soak.

even in the viv? they said don't put water in there because of humidity ? and they would get there water from there food? but as thats wrong i will do it straight away. thank you

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
water always available is best for a tortoise

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Tortoises need humidity. Too cold and humid is bad though. Keeping them dry is old school thought. Keep him Warm enough and humid. Read the care guides for your tortoise here for more information. You probably have received other bad info. The sooner you correct, the better.
Welcome to the forum by the way.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
even in the viv? they said don't put water in there because of humidity ? and they would get there water from there food? but as thats wrong i will do it straight away. thank you

You've been getting bad info from and incorrect source. Russian tortoises NEED humidity and they need a drinking source. Sink a terra cotta saucer into the substrate so the rim is level with the substrate surface and clean and refill it daily or as needed.

Everything this info source has told you is now suspect. I'm glad you took the time to come here and ask. Who knows what other old, out-dated, incorrect info this source has given you.

Please read these for the CORRECT care info:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
just want to thank you all for the information on the water, watched one of the girls loving life earlier in the water. :)
Check everything you have been told here Stez. This place has up to date info from people who have been keeping torts for years and all their methods are tried and tested and thankfully they are happy to share it all with us.
too cold + humidity = sick tort
correct temp + humidity = healthy tort
That's why a good digital temp gun, thermometer and humidity gauges are essential.

Ninja's mom

Jumping in...should baby tortoises have water available at all times? I was told no b/c they could drown, so I try to soak every day. Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
drown? I firmly believe all tortoises of any age should have access to water 24/7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Jumping in...should baby tortoises have water available at all times? I was told no b/c they could drown, so I try to soak every day. Thanks

I have raised literally 100's of babies of several species and I have not ever had one single baby drown. I use terra cotta saucers and I sink them level with the substrate. I strata with small saucers for tiny hatchlings and increase their size as the babies grow.

Daily soaks are also good for babies of any species, but you should still provide water to drink and soak in.

Question everything else from the source that told you this. They might also be perpetuating other old myths.

Ninja's mom

Thank you! I will get my tortoise a water bowl this week, poor guy :( I was told by two people not to give him water in his tank, one who is very involved with tortoises so I assumed it was the right information. I did notice him trying to lick water droplets off the side of his tank the other day after I moistened his substrate and immediately soaked him again...poor guy is thirsty! He always drinks immediately when I put him in his soaks.