Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I've had a lot of conflicting info about whether or not to have a water dish in my russian's enclosure. I just kinda wanted to hear some opinions, and pros and cons on the subject. The person I got him from is very knowledgable, and said I shouldn't, but others have said I should.

Sent from my iPhone using TortoiseForum mobile app

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Russian tortoises need water in their enclosure 24/7. The dish should be big enough for the tort to crawl in and out of, but shallow enough that it doesn't drown. If its a hatchling, sink the dish into the substrate to make it easier to crawl in and out of.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tortoises may get a lot of moisture from the plants they eat, but they still need a moist substrate, and a shallow dish of water to drink from and bathe in when they want to. All tortoises do, including Russians.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The "They don't need a water bowl" thing, is an old persistent myth. Tortoises need to drink water just like every other living animal. Can they SURVIVE without it for a while? Yes they can, but that does not mean its good for them. Chronic dehydration can lead to all sorts of problems. Please give your tortoise a bowl and allow him to drink when he wants to.

Terra cotta plant saucers work great for this purpose. They are shallow, low sided, offer good traction, and they are cheap. I sink it into the substrate for all ages.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I have always put a shallow dish in my Russians enclosure and my female has always used it, I often find her sitting in it, my male never uses his on his own but takes long drinks from it if I put him in it. But you have to be careful with what you put around the water dish you don't want them to climb something and flip over into the dish.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I got the info from Tyler at tortoisesupply, and I'm still on the fence, is there any negatives to a water dish? or is it only positive?

I soak him 3 or 4 times a week btw.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you have hundreds of tortoises to look after every day cleaning, rinsing and refilling all those water bowls can be tedious and very time consuming. For one tortoise, give your tortoise a water bowl.

Are you sure Tyler didn't mean you don't have to soak them if they have a water bowl and use it? Or did he tell you that his live outside and drink from sprinkler puddles every day? Tyler knows that a Russian cannot live without water indefinitely. There must be some misunderstanding.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
7oasty23 said:
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/RussianTortoiseCare

That's where I got he info from, I'll pick up a dish after work tomorrow.

It is true that tortoises can drown, particularly if they get flipped over and can't right themselves. The solution there is to just make sure your water dish is shallow, not obstructed, and not near the basking spot (where your tortoise could overheat). I have been keeping tortoises and box turtles for many years, and I've never had any trouble. The benefits of having water available far outweigh the risks.

PS - It doesn't matter if they eliminate wastes in the dish. Just dump out the old water onto your absorptive substrate, and then freshen the water. I do this everyday anyway. That way, the substrate stays moist, and the water stays clean.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I definitely will always have a water dish in my enclosure. As Geo stated the benefits far outweigh the risks.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
A Russian tort is an animal that needs to be able to drink. Not giving it access to water is animal cruelty in my mind. He may not drink often or he may drink and soak regularly, but that's his choice.

There is a small risk of drowning if the water is too deep. As others have said, just make sure it isn't too deep.

There is another risk if your tortoise flips over and cannot right himself, regardless of whether water is involved. This is particularly the case if your tort flips under a heat lamp or outdoors in full sun. My view on this one is that you need to give your tort the opportunities to learn how to climb... and thus how to right himself... a skill they have to learn in the wild. If you are going to be out of for any length of time and your tort cannot be trusted, removing the obstacles most likely to cause flipping and put them back when you come home.

Joe is an experienced mountaineer now and hardly ever flips, He's quite capable of climbing steps of 4 inches or so to get into out kitchen from outside!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just read Tyler's site you posted. I didn't get the impression that he doesn't give them water. In colder temps he doesn't, the Russians are probably brumating/hibernating. The ones housed inside, he gives them water every other day, he just doesn't leave a water dish in their enclosure 24/7. Like Tom said, one with many tortoises like Tyler, doesn't have the time to clean out poopy dishes every time it gets pooped in, so has come up with a system that keeps the torts hydrated but in clean enclosures. Anyone that doesn't have as many should be able to provide water 24/7 or at least for a couple hours a day, specially for well hydrated torts.

7oasty23

5 Year Member
I'm getting him a dish today, but read the second paragraph in the water section. It clearly says if you soak them one or two times a week you don't need a water dish.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Different people have different opinions on things. Tyler shared his opinion on his care sheet. We are all sharing our opinions here on your thread. That's all.

I'm glad you decided to get him a water bowl. Now don't bother going to the pet store and getting one of those faux rock snake and lizard bowls. $2 at the hardware store will get you the perfect tortoise bowl.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I have never seen any of my 3 Russians drink from the water dishes I provide. I have seen them walk through or across it to get to something else. I do leave fresh water in there daily on the off chance they only drink while I am sleeping...lol
Plus you never know when you're going to get thirsty, when you are suddenly parched isn't it great to know where you can find it!

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Even if they never drink from the water dish; the water allows them to avoid overheating by just walking thru the water or sitting in the water.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I soak my tortoise every day, and it still drinks out of the water bowl daily. I don't see why anyone wouldn't offer one. If they get thirsty or too hot, they should have it readily available.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My 4 Russians live outdoors full time. I have seen each of them drink from the water dish many times. I use terra cotta saucers as water dishes.
Each time I see them drinking I am so glad they have unlimited access to water.

Heather
sent while on my purple android TFOapp

JJ_BOY

5 Year Member
I've always had a shallow dish and occasionally I see him over there drinking it.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Every evening, about half an hour after her lights go out, my little girl wakes and and goes for a swin in her water dish. She spends about 10 minutes "playing" in the water, then goes back to bed. I think it is always better to have the water available and the tortoise not use it, then it is to have your tortoise need the water and its not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.