Water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Austin, TX
Spn785 said:
I think it is always better to have the water available and the tortoise not use it, then it is to have your tortoise need the water and its not there.

My thought exactly!

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Question. Since Sheldon apparently hates water (only drinks when soaking, despite a dish being out on the enclosure all day), I started putting his food in the water bowl. More cleanup, but he ends up accidentally drinking water when he eats. Good idea? Bad idea?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Talka said:
Question. Since Sheldon apparently hates water (only drinks when soaking, despite a dish being out on the enclosure all day), I started putting his food in the water bowl. More cleanup, but he ends up accidentally drinking water when he eats. Good idea? Bad idea?

I wouldn't do it. Box turtles can and do feed in shallow water, but tortoises don't naturally do so. He might not eat as much as he otherwise would if he has to wade in for it.

It is, however, a good idea to rinse greens before offering them to tortoises. That way, the water clings to the leaves, and the tortoise takes in more moisture.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Good idea.

I just wash everything that I feed to Joe and give it to him dripping wet... accidental ingestion of water :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Talka said:

If he's not using his water dish, it might be because he's not comfortable with it. I've seen this many times. What are you using for a dish and is it sunk into the substrate so the rim is level with the surface?

kjr153

5 Year Member
Tom,
Don't you have a lot of Torts? How many water bowls do you have to clean and fill by hand each day? I'm not trying to be rude but do you have a day job that you have to leave home for? I was just curious on how you cared for numerous torts(my one takes a lot of my time daily), took care of a family and worked. You can tell me it's none of my business. I was just wondering. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
kjr153 said:
Tom,
Don't you have a lot of Torts? How many water bowls do you have to clean and fill by hand each day? I'm not trying to be rude but do you have a day job that you have to leave home for? I was just curious on how you cared for numerous torts(my one takes a lot of my time daily), took care of a family and worked. You can tell me it's none of my business. I was just wondering. :)

Currently I am down to 10. It doesn't take long to dump, rinse, wipe, rinse and refill each one once or twice a day. It only takes about 30 seconds per bowl. I have a dedicated refill cup for each indoor enclosure. I grab the dirty bowl and the cup, and I go dump lithe bowl. Then I take the empty bowl and cup to the sink, I rinse and wipe out the bowl, rinse some more, fill the cup and water the now clean empty bowl back to the enclosure. I press the bowl back into its place, dump the water in and do the next bowl. I also wash hands between enclosures.

It takes more time to type it out like this than it does to actually do it.

Outdoors I grab the hose, dump the water on the ground, stand the tub or dish on end, hose it out, put it back in place and refill with the hose. Takes very little time.

Status
Not open for further replies.