Watering Butterfly's

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
We've had a pretty dry late spring and early summer. When I turn the hose on to water something or clean the tortoises feeding dishes etc. Sometimes butterflies show up looking for a drink I guess. Somewhere here are a couple butterfly feeders that my wife used to feed them. My question is, is water all they need or should I add something to the water that would be better than just water for them.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can't say 100% but I think the water is all they need at that point. Their food would come from flowers.
Here is some ideas though if you want to offer some food.
Screenshot_20240706-114854.png

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I can't say 100% but I think the water is all they need at that point. Their food would come from flowers.
Here is some ideas though if you want to offer some food.
View attachment 373537
Thanks Barb, the mention of fruit is fantastic because I have figs ripening now. And I have brightly colored Christmas plates. I've only set up oneKIMG3511.JPG so far with a small sliced fig and water. There's plenty of ROS blooms out there but with the full sun and 90 degrees plus temperatures most have already wilted and partialy closed for the day.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah, this unusual heat all over is not fun. I'm constantly filling outside water, not only for my tortoises but the birds. The poor black birds are always with their mouths open. We haven't had much rain but the humidity/dew point is always higher than normal.
Glad you can help those beautiful butterflies out.