What are your biggest pet peeves?

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Mine is picking shed off of any reptile. I monitor the reptile room constantly. Cleaning, watering, feeding, and looking for shedding!
If I notice a snake or lizard with shed starting to peel off I have to get it off or I am NOT okay. I will immedietly soak that animal for at least an hour then get a dampened wash cloth and start removing shed. My iguanas and beardies seem to LOVE it and my snakes are pretty much what ever. My two Jacksons chameleons get different treatment. I set up their purch in the shower and turn on some warm water and let them shower while I use a warm washcloth and rub everything off. Yes very weird, but my animals seem to appreciate not having to put tons of effort into it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are you talking animal related? because my very biggest pet peeve is the school kids getting off the school bus in front of my house and dropping their candy wrappers, juice boxes and other trash on my property. I'm really tempted to start collecting it all up in a bag, and when I have a big bag full, depositing it in front of their house (not in the bag, of course).

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
Not just animal related. Anything that really bugs you or just messes with you an obscured amount.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: What are your biggest pet peeves?

Yvonne G said:
Are you talking animal related? because my very biggest pet peeve is the school kids getting off the school bus in front of my house and dropping their candy wrappers, juice boxes and other trash on my property. I'm really tempted to start collecting it all up in a bag, and when I have a big bag full, depositing it in front of their house (not in the bag, of course).

I have to agree with you Yvonne. I have the same problem . The biggest thing that just makes me angry is going out to the garage and finding my tools out of place. Sometimes I wish it would be ok to duck tape a kid to a tool box for a week to teach them a lesson.

kjr153

5 Year Member
When someone pulls out in front of me and goes slow. If you're going to pull out in front of someone at least go the speed they're going or just wait. I have horrible road rage though. :)

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
why would you force skin off before it's ready? obviously those flaps that hang off are fair game but if you're rubbing it with a facecloth underwater then your definitely forcing it off, to a point. I'd do it with my finger because that's not as abrasive. I'm sure it doesn't hurt because of the water but i bet the tiny bit that you forced to cone to the surface is sensitive under a hot light.... kinda like when you get a sunburn.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member

stinax182 said:
why would you force skin off before it's ready? obviously those flaps that hang off are fair game but if you're rubbing it with a facecloth underwater then your definitely forcing it off, to a point. I'd do it with my finger because that's not as abrasive. I'm sure it doesn't hurt because of the water but i bet the tiny bit that you forced to cone to the surface is sensitive under a hot light.... kinda like when you get a sunburn.

Any time I do it to my animals I make sure the shed is already on it's way off to where they have an almost grayish appearance. If it's anything before that I won't touch it. It doesn't cause my animals harm what so ever. I don't even pull it off of my snakes I will let them maneuver through the cloth themselves and pull it off. My lizards on the other hand will sit and rub their faces or any part of their body that is "itchy" on the cloth and remove shed this way. After everyone has gotten soaked or showered I will put them in a light cold pressed extra virgin olive oil soak for 10 min to condition their skin. It makes the animal 10x brighter and it soothes their skin.
I have to do this with my big retics and burms as they don't shed completely because they are so large. It tends to leave sick shed. I had to do it to my big green anaconda last year all of the shed about midway down her body was tearing and she was having difficulty getting it off and needed help.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I definitely have one pet peeve and I happen NOT to be talking about tortoises.
I can't handle animal neglect / abuse. I feel like it tortures my mind and I will absolutely do something about it. Something that in the beginning and end will help the animal.
I am powerless over animals! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
I let my animals do all the work I just ease the process along. The water being absorbed in the shed is kind of like a callus on your hands. It softens it and makes it much easier. I use a wash cloth because it gets a better grip especially with the snakes and my lizards will rub themselves on the cloth where the shed is and it is itchy to them. Other than that I just do a wipe down after they're done to ensure one last time that all of what was being gotten off is off.

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
My biggest pet peeve is cleaning the kitchen, loading the dish washer then leaving the room only to return to 6-7 empty dirty glasses now sitting on the table or counters... there's only 4 of us in the house. Why are there 6-7 glasses? Why cant they reuse a glass? Better yet why cant they wash it when their done with it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
When people repeat threads. Haha, I am only kidding, but here are some others from the past to add to your thread. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-56297.html

As you will see if you read the thread, I have many and didn't want to go through that again. They just kept popping up last time, I almost couldn't stop:p :D

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
When people show off their animal that is treated with border-line animal cruelty. Like a rabbit in a tiny SuperPet cage.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas

kathyth said:
I definitely have one pet peeve and I happen NOT to be talking about tortoises.
I can't handle animal neglect / abuse. I feel like it tortures my mind and I will absolutely do something about it. Something that in the beginning and end will help the animal.
I am powerless over animals! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I feel the same way you do and that would certainly sum up my pet peeve. I cant stand to see animals be abused or neglected. I've put myself in some pretty messed up situations all for the love of some stray animals and some that even had so called homes . Its shame how some people can be so cruel. :(

ulkal

5 Year Member
My pet peeve has actually to do with my pet.
I hate when strangers touch my dog without asking me. And when people with their dog come up to mine (without asking me again) to make them meet. Especially when theirs is not on a leash and mine is. And when I tell them politely to please call their dog back, they reply that "the dogs have to play" even when my pup obviously wants to get away...

jerm42991

5 Year Member
My biggest pet peeve is when someone cooks something in the microwave and they leave something like 3 seconds left and don't clear it.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
ulkal said:
I hate when strangers touch my dog without asking me. And when people with their dog come up to mine (without asking me again) to make them meet. Especially when theirs is not on a leash and mine is. And when I tell them politely to please call their dog back, they reply that "the dogs have to play" even when my pup obviously wants to get away...

I must admit this bugs me to death!
I have a 8 month old Great Dane and a 7 year old Chihuahua and every time I go in public with them everyone freaks out by how big Harley is and how tiny Smokey is. A couple weeks ago someone had their mastiff walking down main street and let it "play"with my dogs. Harley wasn't very happy about it and started getting in the stance where you could see how unhappy he was and Smokey was so terrified that he kept circling my legs and every time the dog game near them he would scream. Not bark, scream like he was dying. This didn't make Harley very happy as he thought the other dog was hurting smokey. I tried to ask him to go on his way with his dogs, but his response was "oh my dog won't hurt them". That's not the point. You're scaring the living s*** out of my dogs!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of the pet peeves listed irk me. They aren't my pet peeves, but I agree with most of them, not all, but most, they are irksome:D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

ulkal said:

Back when I had my Dane, I hated this! She was well trained but still. I have vowed that my next dog will wear a vest with the "do not pet" logo on it when we go out. I'm serious...
My kids have been well taught to ask the owner to meet their dog. If they say yes, to let the dog come to us and smell first. Then if the dogs behavior is welcoming to pet starting at the shoulder area.
I also don't like when the owner forces their scared dog towards us just because we asked. It's ok to say no! I tell them not to do it when I see that. That if the dog doesn't want to come to us we are fine just looking. They respond with, no it's ok they need socialization. I make my kids back away at that point. Their dog is freaked and being pushed towards my kids. The owner is doing damage to the dog and risking my kids safety.