What are your biggest pet peeves?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Re: RE: What are your biggest pet peeves?

Yvonne G said:
OO..OO..OO..I just thought of another one. It bugs the heck outta' me to read and hear people demean our precious chelonians with nick names. Two of the worst offenders are "boxie" and "sullie."

C'mon! Sully is the cutest nickname!

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
You're going to think I'm nuts, because of all the animals I have, but I can't take the sound of animals licking themselves. I don't know why, but when my dogs or cats do I need to go to another room and I can still hear it echo through my ears. Weird, I know, but it's been like that since I ever got my first dog, Chewy

Oh! And when people mix up well and good. My mom does that just to bug me (I hope...). I've taught it to her a million times and she still denies it! One time I even used the steam on our bathroom mirror to write it out for her

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Here are two more.......

Someone flicking a lit cigarette out the window, especially during fire season.

Someone playing loud rap music in a car with children.

. Bad people!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
zenoandthetortoise said:
1) People not named Tom in desperate need of validation that race to post "See Toms threads" to every new member and or sulcata/leopard question. First, referencing somebody else's info is not a contribution. Second, the threads are easy to find via search

2) people that respond to complicated questions such as species mixing with ambiguous authority without producing data, instead referencing vaguely defined groupthink,i.e. "It's frowned upon...etc"

No validation needed. People on a forum that don't want to help get the correct info out, but criticizes those that do.:p :D. Which by the way, Tom appreciates spreading the word :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
When people look over your shoulder when you're on your phone. Like sheesh!

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
wellington said:
zenoandthetortoise said:
1) People not named Tom in desperate need of validation that race to post "See Toms threads" to every new member and or sulcata/leopard question. First, referencing somebody else's info is not a contribution. Second, the threads are easy to find via search

2) people that respond to complicated questions such as species mixing with ambiguous authority without producing data, instead referencing vaguely defined groupthink,i.e. "It's frowned upon...etc"

No validation needed. People on a forum that don't want to help get the correct info out, but criticizes those that do.:p :D. Which by the way, Tom appreciates spreading the word :)

Wellington- Since you called me out personally, I will respond in kind. First, you don't know me and have no information as whether I want or do help others. Secondly, I was not criticizing others for helping. I was pointing out that incessant 'see toms threads' adds nothing ,regardless of whether or not Tom minds. Perhaps this is my own bias, in science original thinking is valued, groupthink is not.
Another pet peeve- people using emoticons to try to hide they fact they are being mean- spirited and petty.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It does help. What, I or anyone else should not give the newbie, doing it all wrong, the right place to go for the correct info. That's what a forum is for, among other things. Many have thanked me for sending them to Toms threads and thanked Tom for doing what he does, share his experiments and knowledge so the rest of us can learn and pass it on. The more it's passed on hopefully the sooner we can eliminate the bad old way and start seeing sulcatas, leopards and hopefully many more tortoises look like they were intended. No I don't know you and you haven't participate enough to know me and the intent of passing the info on as I and Heather and many others do. That's what this forum is about. Helping others learn the right way. If I can get them to read Toms threads because they are right in my signature and not having to search for them, that's what I will do, have done since I joined a few years ago and will continue to do. If you have ever paid attention to the many newbie threads, most don't ever check the important threads until told where to look for them. If you don't want to help others, that's your right. Don't criticize those that do. Another pet peeve of mine!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay guys, let's play nice and move on to the next pet peeves....

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
If you don't want to help others, that's your right. Don't criticize those that do. Another pet peeve of mine!
[/quote]

Again, you are not in anyway qualified to comment on whether or not I want to help others, perhaps you should stick to what you know, i.e. quoting others. and for the record, I did not start this thread mention you, or criticize people for helping. You made this personal. Ironically, your continued ranting seems to make my original point regarding people desperate for validation. Since you won't get it from me, how about you stay off my posts?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I can't take the sound of animals licking themselves. I don't know why, but when my dogs or cats do I need to go to another room and I can still hear it echo through my ears.

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! This is the worst....I can hear a dog licking itself from one side of the house clear to the other....the dogs here know to knock it off with a finger snap....and if they should "forget" quickly, a pillow may launch in their general direction...lol....and I love dogs but don't not like to be licked by them, especially if one tries to slip me the tongue....ewwwww---it is creepy :p

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
My pet peeve is people who let their dogs poop and pee on my flowers. At least once a day my husband or I have to go scrape dog stuff off our landscaping. We have a 'Please curb your dog' sign that is roundly ignored. Everybody walking their dog is on their cell phone, paying no attention to the fact that Spot is lifting his leg on and killing the flowers I just spent $200 to buy and a Sunday afternoon to plant.

I'm inclined to bring my torts over to go on their yards, but their little vegan poops aren't nearly offensive enough to provide suitable revenge.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
thatrebecca said:
My pet peeve is people who let their dogs poop and pee on my flowers. At least once a day my husband or I have to go scrape dog stuff off our landscaping. We have a 'Please curb your dog' sign that is roundly ignored. Everybody walking their dog is on their cell phone, paying no attention to the fact that Spot is lifting his leg on and killing the flowers I just spent $200 to buy and a Sunday afternoon to plant.

I'm inclined to bring my torts over to go on their yards, but their little vegan poops aren't nearly offensive enough to provide suitable revenge.

What myMother did with this lady who walked her dog and always seemed to time it's potty break in her yard was to follow her home one day and redeposit the **** on the dog walker's front steps. She had already collected what was in the yard and had added that day's fresh sample too. Said something to her like, "Your dog forgot this in my yard, so I thought I would bring it back to you". The lady changed her walking path at least.

jaredherman

5 Year Member
My pet peeve is dirty sinks! I also hate the sound of licking anmials, but instead of leaving the room ill just throw a pillow or something at him :)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Jacqui said:
thatrebecca said:

What myMother did with this lady who walked her dog and always seemed to time it's potty break in her yard was to follow her home one day and redeposit the stuff on the dog walker's front steps. She had already collected what was in the yard and had added that day's fresh sample too. Said something to her like, "Your dog forgot this in my yard, so I thought I would bring it back to you". The lady changed her walking path at least.

Haha this is great! If I get the nerve I just might do it!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts

TiyahLove said:
stinax182 said:
why would you force skin off before it's ready? obviously those flaps that hang off are fair game but if you're rubbing it with a facecloth underwater then your definitely forcing it off, to a point. I'd do it with my finger because that's not as abrasive. I'm sure it doesn't hurt because of the water but i bet the tiny bit that you forced to cone to the surface is sensitive under a hot light.... kinda like when you get a sunburn.

Any time I do it to my animals I make sure the shed is already on it's way off to where they have an almost grayish appearance. If it's anything before that I won't touch it. It doesn't cause my animals harm what so ever. I don't even pull it off of my snakes I will let them maneuver through the cloth themselves and pull it off. My lizards on the other hand will sit and rub their faces or any part of their body that is "itchy" on the cloth and remove shed this way. After everyone has gotten soaked or showered I will put them in a light cold pressed extra virgin olive oil soak for 10 min to condition their skin. It makes the animal 10x brighter and it soothes their skin.
I have to do this with my big retics and burms as they don't shed completely because they are so large. It tends to leave sick shed. I had to do it to my big green anaconda last year all of the shed about midway down her body was tearing and she was having difficulty getting it off and needed help.

yeah, i suppose the water really helps. and I'm not familiar with snakes shedding but I'm sure that's much different than a lizard. and the oil bath sounds amazing. thank you for enlightening me

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

wellington said:
It does help. What, I or anyone else should not give the newbie, doing it all wrong, the right place to go for the correct info. That's what a forum is for, among other things. Many have thanked me for sending them to Toms threads and thanked Tom for doing what he does, share his experiments and knowledge so the rest of us can learn and pass it on. The more it's passed on hopefully the sooner we can eliminate the bad old way and start seeing sulcatas, leopards and hopefully many more tortoises look like they were intended. No I don't know you and you haven't participate enough to know me and the intent of passing the info on as I and Heather and many others do. That's what this forum is about. Helping others learn the right way. If I can get them to read Toms threads because they are right in my signature and not having to search for them, that's what I will do, have done since I joined a few years ago and will continue to do. If you have ever paid attention to the many newbie threads, most don't ever check the important threads until told where to look for them. If you don't want to help others, that's your right. Don't criticize those that do. Another pet peeve of mine!

I'm sorry but i will back you 100% on this . When New people cone here they don't know whats going on who knows what . All they care about is finding the answers to there questions so they are doing right by the tortoises. So is anyone can tell them to ask Yvonne,Tom or anybody else for that matter is what this is about . So keep doing it . I will bet Tom will thank you for it . I have seen him post the same answers over and over . But he does it time and time again . BECAUSE OF THE TORTOISES NOT YOUR FILLINGS !! So pass it on .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you mike taylor. If my memory serves me right, I have seen you do the same. So, yes, we will keep it up and hopefully some day, everyone will be able to raise a smooth leopard or sulcata.:D

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Thank you mike taylor. If my memory serves me right, I have seen you do the same. So, yes, we will keep it up and hopefully some day, everyone will be able to raise a smooth leopard or sulcata.:D

If it had not been for toms threads my babies wouldn't be as healthy and happy as they are, and they have helped me enlighten and save other babies for example my friends. It isn't only just living but thriving and it is thanks to the people on the forum and the research tom has done. He has truly saved some animals from a life in hell.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club

wellington said:

Your welcome . I will tell leopard and sulcata keepers to go to Toms threads until Tom says not to . And I'm willing to bet that I will never happen.

TiyahLove

5 Year Member
stinax182 said:
TiyahLove said:
stinax182 said:
why would you force skin off before it's ready? obviously those flaps that hang off are fair game but if you're rubbing it with a facecloth underwater then your definitely forcing it off, to a point. I'd do it with my finger because that's not as abrasive. I'm sure it doesn't hurt because of the water but i bet the tiny bit that you forced to cone to the surface is sensitive under a hot light.... kinda like when you get a sunburn.

Any time I do it to my animals I make sure the shed is already on it's way off to where they have an almost grayish appearance. If it's anything before that I won't touch it. It doesn't cause my animals harm what so ever. I don't even pull it off of my snakes I will let them maneuver through the cloth themselves and pull it off. My lizards on the other hand will sit and rub their faces or any part of their body that is "itchy" on the cloth and remove shed this way. After everyone has gotten soaked or showered I will put them in a light cold pressed extra virgin olive oil soak for 10 min to condition their skin. It makes the animal 10x brighter and it soothes their skin.
I have to do this with my big retics and burms as they don't shed completely because they are so large. It tends to leave sick shed. I had to do it to my big green anaconda last year all of the shed about midway down her body was tearing and she was having difficulty getting it off and needed help.

yeah, i suppose the water really helps. and I'm not familiar with snakes shedding but I'm sure that's much different than a lizard. and the oil bath sounds amazing. thank you for enlightening me

The torts get a little different treatment though. I hate seeing all the flakey skin handing off all around their heads and especially the neck area so after their soak tip will dampen cotton swabs and gently roll it on the area that is shedding and it usually comes right off.
Oh and I'm not sure if I specified but my oil soak is 1/4 tsp oil per 2 cups warm water.