Watering eyes

Stephfaune

Location (City and/or State)
Casa Grande, Arizona
I soaked my tortoise today but I think the water may have been a little cold for her. Since I soaked her today her eyes are watering. She was only in there 5 minutes. They haven't done this before. She took a mud bath yesterday after I watered the Grass.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmmm. What kind of tortoise? How cold? 5 mins in coldish water really isnt that long. Cold water wouldnt really cause a tortoise’s eyes to water.

A nice long warm water soak should take care of it all!

Good luck

Stephfaune

Casa Grande, Arizona
Well since we found this tortoise 2 months ago we are not sure of age! We do know it is a she and she is a African spurred SULCATA. According to a rescue I spoke to about her she is anywhere from 4 to 10 years old. She weighs about 60 pounds. We feed her Bermuda hay, Timothy hay, Bermuda grass that I grew for her, prickly pear cactus, collard greens and mustard greens. It did rain the other night so I'm wondering if that may be why. Her poops are good and urates were a little grainy so that's why I started soaking because normally she just soaks in the mud. She has one burrow that I am trying to insulate better and then I'm working on a second burrow for her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sulcatas are sometimes referred to as the crying tortoise because their eyes water to cool themselves off. The tortoise was probably too hot.