We have a hummingbird nest!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't want to count the hummingbirds before they hatch, but I could resist!!
I took advantage of taking a pic while she was away.
She decided to nest by my front door.

The eggs are smaller than a jelly belly and the nest is the size of 1/2 a pingpong ball-so tiny!

photo-198.jpg

photo-197.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
That is just amazing... When you live in England, Humming Birds are something you might see in a zoo not have nesting in the garden. :)

I'm a keen bird watcher and SO jealous!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
That is awesome I love watching them at their feeder when I have the chance so fast :D

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
What kind of hummingbird is it? We only have one species in the east, but I understand that there are more in the west.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My parents feed the hummingbirds every summer. They go nuts. They even try to take over their porch. Sometimes they go up to the door and look right in. They love when my dad sprays the hose for them to fly threw. My favorite, except when they almost fly into my head:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Awesome:D. I have duelling hummers swoop one another all over the front porch...I have two feeders and there can be four or more out there binking off of each other ...and yup..they do hover at the living room window and loom either at their reflections or the tv...lol....

I look forward to the pics....how exciting...:p

cljohnson

5 Year Member
That's great.
We have had dozens of hummers fledge in our backyard over the years Anna's and Costa's.
It is very cute to see two baby birds in that tiny nest with momma proudly sitting on them chin up giving you the stink eye.

Niki

5 Year Member
We have a feeder in our backyard also... I think we have the same two hummingbirds sitting outside my kitchen window every morning around 6 am. I am pretty sure they are Anna's hummingbirds because the male has a beautiful red head!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
We have Anna's, and we do see babies every year. I LOVE them, and worry when they haven't been around. They nest in a tree that I very much dislike, but I don't want to disturb them :)

lisalove

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I'm a bit protective over the nest too. I get irritated when people come to the front door and scare her away!!! That's when I give the stink eye as well!!!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lucky lucky you! I have worked for years to get them just to stop by for a drink. I found a nest one winter, or rather one of my children did. I get so excited just to see one, can't imagine getting to watch a family hatch out and grow up!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
What a wonderful picture! Every year I so look forward to putting out my feeders. Last year it was out less than 1 hour, on May 1st and what do I hear? That familiar buzz!! Thy must have been watching. This year it was on the 11th, but I had the feeders out early. I have never seen where they nest.
You do get used to their squeaks and chirps, and can recongnize when they are around long before anyone else!
I love them, thanks for posting
Nay

Katherine

5 Year Member
Amazing!!!! We have many many hummingbirds and I have never been lucky enough to locate a nest. How exciting and wonderful for you, I love these little birds!

Katherine

5 Year Member
Amazing. Nature often takes my breath away. Thank you so much for sharing these photographs with us! You easily just made my day :)

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
We were fortunate enough to have an Anna's nest on our front porch for 2 years ~ this year she is somewhere out of sight, but she visits the feeders..

Had good fortune to take serial pictures........ what a blessing!

Status
Not open for further replies.