Wedging Behaviour - My Redfoot Baby

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco Bay Area
My redfoot baby, Gibson, loves to wedge himself sideways between things- I think the pressure on the top and bottom of his shell makes him feel secure... Please see attached photos- he's adorable while wedging.

I copied this section from Wikipedia's Red-Footed Tortoise article,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-footed_tortoise

and I do hope it is enough to give credit this way for you academics reading this (I don't have time to create a proper APA or MLA citation right now, but can do upon request):

EXCERPT FROM ARTICLE:

"They seek shelter in places that offer thermoregulation and protection from predators.

Treefalls are a favored site, as are debris piles, burrows (especially those of the armadillo (Dasypodidae family) and agouti (Dasyprocta species), hollow logs, holes, and heavy vegetation cover.

They generally try to find tight-fitting resting places, and will occasionally 'wedge' themselves between roots and trunks but remain otherwise exposed. Burrows and holes are often flooded and the tortoises will rest in the water and mud with just their nostrils and eyes exposed.

In warmer weather, they press up against moister, cooler surfaces in shelter areas. The tortoises show personal preferences with many individuals always seeking out a specific type of shelter."

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    995.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    866.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Wedging_c.JPG
    Wedging_c.JPG
    1,004.3 KB · Views: 61

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Very interesting.... I've noticed this behavior in my tort occasionally, but not quite to that extreme! I can see why this would make them feel more secure.