Wee on the floor

Andrew Porter

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle Upon Tyne
hi guys..

Just a quick one.. I bath sheldon 2-3 times a week in a lil tub and he usually loves it.. walking round ect, he usually urinates and poo's in the water every time if not in his enclosure.

However today I brought him out for some exercise and placed him on the clear floor ( I checked ) both times he has instantly wee'd a lot and poo'd on the floor.. BOTH TIMES!

The 2nd time I bathed him and placed him on the floor as I was emptying/tidying and he done it again! Would there be any specific reason as to why? Maybe scared? Or am I just overthinking?

( Tortoise Selfie )

IMG_3248.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're lucky he didn't wee and poo on your hooded sweat shirt. This is a defense mechanism for tortoises. They do that when they're scared. And he doesn't belong on the floor. :)

Andrew Porter

Newcastle Upon Tyne
You're lucky he didn't wee and poo on your hooded sweat shirt. This is a defense mechanism for tortoises. They do that when they're scared. And he doesn't belong on the floor. :)

This was taken last night haha!
He usually loves walking round on the floor so it's strange!

How else is he suppose to get exercise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Exercise is why we stress LARGE HABITATS. Since it's dangerous for a small tortoise on the floor (might eat small bits of plastic, hair, dust bunnies, electrical cords, etc. - might get stepped on - might get his head squished in the door) we recommend setting up the largest habitat for him that you possibly can. We recommend at least 4'x8' minimum for Russian tortoises. You can buy a used book case, take out the shelves, lay it on its back and line it.