Weeds!

Tortimum

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi,
Am I able to give my 1 year old Horsefield tortoise these weeds? these are from my own garden.

Also can they eat pepper plant leaves and strawberry plant leaves?
Thanks in advance.
Joanna

Attachments

• 552edf31-5f8d-4c4b-90f4-18041a2f7c6b.jpeg
    552edf31-5f8d-4c4b-90f4-18041a2f7c6b.jpeg
    501.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 8e2bc940-45ff-4c82-a878-f5a88f0c9804.jpeg
    8e2bc940-45ff-4c82-a878-f5a88f0c9804.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 1

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
The first picture is some species of dandelion and can be fed.The second pic seems to be a tomato plant. Tomato comes from the same family as potatoes and deadly nightshade, and the leaves are toxic.

Strawberry leaves can be fed sparingly, I would opt out for the younger leaves. Pepper leaves I wouldn't feed.

COmtnLady

Colorado
The second plant (on right) is a toxic one.

BTW - Dandelions are yummy for humans, too. They're best early in the season, BEFORE the flowers show up. The buds of the flowers are really yummy, but it seems like it only takes five minutes between just beginning to bud and full-blown flowers, so you have to be watching them. Once the plant flowers it gets a bit tough and bitter... its still edible, just doesn't taste as good. We used to wait with anticipation for the dandelions to come up each spring. Its like fresh spinach without the iron-y flavor. You can either pick the leaves, or since most people want to eradicate them from their lawns, pull the whole plant (and be amazed at how long the root is), Cut the root off at the base, really wash them a lot because sand (yet another place besides tortoises' food, where sand is bad) gets trapped between the leaves near where they emerge from the base, It doesn't take very long to boil or steam them. We used to slice boiled eggs on top of them in a bowl when done, and drizzle a bit of vinegar on top before eating.
The really tender leaves are good to toss in a salad, especially the "wilted" kinds of salad with bacon crumbled on top.