weighing in...

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
Wow! How old is your sulcata, if you don't mind me asking?
I wish I knew..was from a non tortoise person who had traded some baby hedge hogs for some tortoises. She told me she thought it was 6 months....but I am guessing it was 6 weeks; by size and weight at the time. That was Dec. and weighed 42 grams.

eric joranson

I wish I knew..was from a non tortoise person who had traded some baby hedge hogs for some tortoises. She told me she thought it was 6 months....but I am guessing it was 6 weeks; by size and weight at the time. That was Dec. and weighed 42 grams.
I know I know; I should have found a more reliable source; but I have always been a sucker for taking in animals that need it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Have you had that moment of panic yet? That moment where day after day you are putting down ever larger piles of food, only to have it all disappear faster and faster, and you are suddenly struck by the though of: "How am I going to feed this monster every day???"

If not, its coming…

When that moment hits you, remember my two words: Grass hay.
:tort:;):D

Bee62

Germany
I know I know; I should have found a more reliable source; but I have always been a sucker for taking in animals that need it.

Animals in need are lucky that there are people like you ! Mayby you saved the life of the little torty baby.
It is so nice to read your threads about your tort. Please go on.

best regards
Sabine

Bee62

Germany
Have you had that moment of panic yet? That moment where day after day you are putting down ever larger piles of food, only to have it all disappear faster and faster, and you are suddenly struck by the though of: "How am I going to feed this monster every day???"

If not, its coming…

I am not Eric, but your post concers me too.:)
I owned two horses for many years. I hope my sulcata torts will eat not more than two horses....:D:eek:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am not Eric, but your post concers me too.:)
I owned two horses for many years. I hope my sulcata torts will eat not more than two horses....:D:eek:

You have four of them now? Yeah… That's going to be pretty close to what two horses would eat… :p

That "OMG!" panic moment usually happens right around 600-800 grams. When you get there and "it" happens, come back and tell us about it. :)

Bee62

Germany
You have four of them now? Yeah… That's going to be pretty close to what two horses would eat… :p

That "OMG!" panic moment usually happens right around 600-800 grams. When you get there and "it" happens, come back and tell us about it. :)

I will !;)

eric joranson

If not, its coming…

Its come: and that's why I have been adding larger and larger piles of finely cut up hey now for about a month....and just last week he tried a little.....today; he devoured it all before moving on to the mulberry leaves; and grass. He's even eating Mazuri now. The only thing he will not eat is any kind of fruit(offered as treat only). He knows what's best for him I guess; so I don't even offer anymore. Eats the new growth off cacti growing in his enclosure at his leisure. Lots of new foods are offered daily; flowers, weeds, and grasses...some he eats; some he ignores. Air drying as much of the things he likes as I can; and storing it in jars to be added to winter fare.

Reactions: Tom