AAS2018

Location (City and/or State)
England
My Russian Tortoise has been tube fed for the last 7 weeks, however in that time his weight has fluctuated quite a bit and he is only 10g heavier than the first week (currently 654g). I’m confused because we’ve been feeding him twice a day via the tube and he has also been eating on his own.
We are back at the vets tomorrow and I expect he’ll undergo more tests, but any advise would be appreciated so I have a bit more of an understanding.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Why was the tube originally installed? What food do you use for tube feeding? What is their normal weight? Is your tortoise male or female?

Usually when a tortoise starts eating on their own the tube isn't needed anymore.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Why did the tort stop eating in the first place? I've kept torts for almost 20 years and never needed that treatment, especially when the animal is eating on his own. In England was it a temperature thing? Has TFO been with you since then?

AAS2018

England
Why was the tube originally installed? What food do you use for tube feeding? What is their normal weight? Is your tortoise male or female?

Usually when a tortoise starts eating on their own the tube isn't needed anymore.
The tube was installed to give medication, we did a course of antibiotics via injection but he still didn’t improve so went with the tube. We stopped the antibiotics 2 weeks ago but the vet wanted to give another 2 weeks of reduced tube feeding to try and get his weight up.

A male tortoise, 6 years old.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Just saying, depending on the size 654g is a good weight for a 6 year old male. What is the length of his bottom shell front to back (start of the neck to start of the tail)? Could you send us some photos of him (in terms of determining if he is of a healthy weight)?

Also, what were his symptoms/his diagnosis that required antibiotics? This might also have to do with his weight gain.