Weight loss HELP

spud's_mum

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom
Hey all, I weighed spud today and he only weighs 39g, he used to way 41g a couple if weeks ago. I have noticed that there is quite a lot if poop in his enclosure. I haven't been feeding him quite as much as before as he had a large weight gain and I am trying to keep him steady. Is the 2g weight loss something I need to worry about or just something to keep an eye on?

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's always a good idea to weigh at the same stage every time you weigh. I mean, pay attention to when the tortoise has pee'd or pooped, and weight either before or after every time. In such a small animal, the waste material makes a very big difference in the weight of the animal.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Yeah, I have to say, I'm. It very good at weighing at the same stage each week as with all my homework I forget. :(

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I weigh my little ones weekly. I am too busy to be super consistent with exactly when. I record the weight and watch for trends. Overall there should be a steady increase. I feed mine all that they will eat. As long as you're feeding a nutritious variety, you shouldn't need to restrict intake. Mine often have spurts of growth.