Weight.vs.weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You want to have them pretty relative to size to one another....there are exceptions to this, but they are usually that. IMHO

When ever you put a pair of tortoise together you really need to be proactive in observing them together as well as individually on their thriving in that pair situation..pairs are very hard to make a beneficial situation for both, again--IMHO...

The others will be by to share their experience and opinions,....hang tight :D

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Weight doesn't matter as much as species, sex, enclosure size, and aggression. You'll find people who have mixed all sorts of tortoises with no problems, and people that have tried the exact same mixtures with fatalities. Most of the time all you can do is put the tortoises together, observe them, and be prepared to separate them if necessary.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
chairman said:
Weight doesn't matter as much as species, sex, enclosure size, and aggression. You'll find people who have mixed all sorts of tortoises with no problems, and people that have tried the exact same mixtures with fatalities. Most of the time all you can do is put the tortoises together, observe them, and be prepared to separate them if necessary.

Well said!

murdoch55

5 Year Member
Can I jump in and ask if age plays a role here? I have a male that is about 3.5 inches long (unsure of exact age but around a year I was told) and would like to add a couple females in the future.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
I think the role that age plays will mostly be on aggression. Hatchlings might get interested in posturing over food, but typically not the more aggressive fights you'll see in animals in their "teen" years as they reach sexual maturity. I couldn't tell you if tortoises typically calm down as they get older, mine are all still too young (10-15 year old wc's).

Status
Not open for further replies.