weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
ive been reading some posts about weighing tortoises. My older tort is 12" and weighs 8lbs10ounces. this seems light. thoughts?

he also wont eat anything on a plate :p it has to be growing out of the ground. So far all he likes that Ive planted for him is fescue :rolleyes: Im going to the nursery thursday and hoping to find more edibles. :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
That is a little on the light side....but keep in mind that she has been through some stress with change so her feeding will be likely off a bit....you said before that she had been sleeping when you first took her...so she may still be in the slow down mode..no matter your efforts. Also I believe if you keep offering supplemental food for her to choose from she will eventually turn back on...also, if she is willing and wanting to graze down the grass that should be encouraged as a large part of her intake..this is good and better than most grocers produce offerings....IMHO.

LittlefootNCera

5 Year Member
Im with you. I think its great she /he(lol) is eating/grazing...she's literally eaten the large clumps of grass to the ground! Lol so im hoping to find more similar type plants to add. Her previous host said she ate a lot of beaver tail cactus in her backyard so im going to look for a similar type plant if possible. Grocery store cactus pads were not worth a second sniff(ofcourse they were on a plate and as I mentioned that's not acceptable)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Ah the CDT that knows natural is better....:D I had the same problem with a couple of the guys here as well as the "don't look at me while I eat.....ahhhhh man you looked now I can't eat" thing. I believe it was some watermelon and pink and red flowers (whole roses and hollyhock) were what convinced the two it was not so bad to take a munchies or two....so now I am careful of what and when I offer supplemental food items so as to still encourage their grazing skills.....you will figure out a great balance...perhaps you could plant some hardy hibiscus..hollyhock...roses ....grape vines....and the like...not only are they yummy and good for them they sure are a pretty addition to the yard.....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.