Weird injury on the head?

finnigan98

So I just noticed this on his head this morning and I'm not sure what it is. It's never happened before. I'm wondering what it is and how to heal it. (Trying to save some money not going to the vet.) ImageUploadedByTortForum1390185592.040521.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390185641.225842.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390185655.289712.jpg and yes I know he is on his log. I was trying to get a good picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I apologize, however, it is near impossible to make out the injury with these photos....are their scale loss? is there a slice? Are you able to post a crisp clear pic?

finnigan98

ascott said:
I apologize, however, it is near impossible to make out the injury with these photos....are their scale loss? is there a slice? Are you able to post a crisp clear pic?

Here are some ImageUploadedByTortForum1390225674.447142.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1390225713.611618.jpg

It doesn't look this bad in person by the way

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is quite ok to use first aid. Pretend the tortoise is your human child. Is this the type of injury you would rush to the pediatrician with, or is it something you can 'doctor' on your own? You be the judge.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I use Neosporin a lot on tortoise first aid. I'd appreciate knowing why you've said that.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it's a small cut I would use it .

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
first thing is first, are you using a glass terranium? This kind of injury probably happened when they are bumping the glass. Tortoise cant really tell whats real from the glass. Aside from that, I would use betadine. Dilute it with water and use a cotton swap and apply on the wound. After that, i would use neosporin. I'll show you pictures of my male who's tail has been scarped and this is the method i used. It healed perfectly fine ^_^

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
I've been advised by an experienced tort owner to keep an eye on the shell edge (top middle) where the head/neck tucks in, that edge can get sharp and if the tort's head/neck is out (and up, like he's looking up with his neck stretched out) and he pulls his head in quickly, he could scrape his head on that sharp edge of the shell there. I hope that makes sense :) My RT's shell is not sharp in that spot, but it had never occurred to me that it could be until someone pointed it out.
Maybe he scraped his head on his own shell...?

I forgot to mention, if that edge of the shell is sharp you can supposedly file it down gently with a nail file or emery board. *I have not done this myself (yet).

finnigan98

LisaTurtle said:
I've been advised by an experienced tort owner to keep an eye on the shell edge (top middle) where the head/neck tucks in, that edge can get sharp and if the tort's head/neck is out (and up, like he's looking up with his neck stretched out) and he pulls his head in quickly, he could scrape his head on that sharp edge of the shell there. I hope that makes sense :) My RT's shell is not sharp in that spot, but it had never occurred to me that it could be until someone pointed it out.
Maybe he scraped his head on his own shell...?

I forgot to mention, if that edge of the shell is sharp you can supposedly file it down gently with a nail file or emery board. *I have not done this myself (yet).

Yeah that's what I thought happened. And by the way to everyone his head is looking much better! It's not so red anymore.

Jlant85 said:
first thing is first, are you using a glass terranium? This kind of injury probably happened when they are bumping the glass. Tortoise cant really tell whats real from the glass. Aside from that, I would use betadine. Dilute it with water and use a cotton swap and apply on the wound. After that, i would use neosporin. I'll show you pictures of my male who's tail has been scarped and this is the method i used. It healed perfectly fine ^_^

I know they do that in a glass tank. But I don't have him in a glass tank. He is in a big 2x3 1/2 feet concrete mixing bin that is all black hard plastic.