Well it's a start! Outside enclosure 4 my Leo..

Status
Not open for further replies.

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore MD
I think the size is OK for now :) He/she is so tiny in there! I still want to add more plants, I bought grazing tort seed mix (tray on top), and it's sprouting slowly, I put a chunk of the sprouts in the enclosure already, today I ordered clover and dandelion seed.. so it should be pretty nice once it's all done.. until he grows, than we'll start over again :D

I can REALLY tell a difference in the little one when he's in the outside enclosure compared to the indoor, he's a happy camper with more to do! So he'll be spending most of the day enjoying the sun! I've never seen him burrow before, he digs and hides ;) Tooo cute! I could just watch him for hours. I think I have a problem :rolleyes:

Are mites and bugs an issue for being outside most of the day? That seems my only worry. The top is screened and locks, so I have no worries on the little "Viking" going missing or animals :)

K done rambling, just wanted to share!

DSCF8225-1.jpg

DSCF8234-1.jpg

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Looks like an excellent setup! I know my always seem to be happier outside and thrive/grow even more than inside. I wouldn't worry too much about mites or bugs and you seem to have it covered with regards to predators. Do you have many insects where you are from?

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
He seems to really dig it, by far the best choice I made :) Really looking forward to adding more munchie plants, he just walks around sampling everything lol, little nibble here, bite there.. and than chomp plant gone :D I love watching him in the water dish, he goes into big tortoise mode, stands tall and than relaxes stretching out ;) He definitely has personality!

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
That looks great! I'm looking into seed mixes right now for Moe. I'm going to use a half whiskey barrel planter, plant it with tort seed and fence it in for an outdoor area this year. Next year he'll get more space, or sooner...? We'll see you he does.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
I dont know if you meant you put some of the plants that sprouted up or you fed him sprouts.... :p but when i looked up the nutrition facts for sprouts a lond time ago for my sulcata, they were high in protein. Just a fun fact

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Beautiful little one! Is that a zoomed box? My husband built me one for my Hermann hatchlings - it's great.

webskipper

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
AZ
Nice. Use the outdoor cage to grow your grasses from seed. You little one will enjoy the fresh food and the shelter.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Great looking enclosure, Your little "Viking" looks very happy with it exploring around.
They are quite the characters aren't they?
She/He will be so healthy being able to live outdoors.
We haven't been able to get our out much yet this year, maybe once so far
for only an hour or two. Man I wish I lived in a hot climate.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Looks nice. Very cute baby!

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
The sprouts are the grass seed, I cut a chunk of the soil/sprouts that were started in a tray before we had the outside cage and planted in the torts house yesterday, Kinda like sod :) The seeded area with sprouts in the cage is like 8x5 for now, plus I have 2 trays growing. The clover and dandelion seeds I'll be adding right to the cage as well as tray growing. Just like the idea of have more, for either a 2nd tort or for the little Vikings indoor house :)

Overall it's coming along, once everything grows and gets a bit fuller I think we'll be in good shape! It's not the Ritz but Viking really seems to dig it! ;)

Thanks guys!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I think I recognize that design! ;)

Zoomed makes a good tortoise house, and your little guy looks like he is king of his domain! :D

brookeekoorb

5 Year Member
Baltimore MD
Stephanie Logan said:
I think I recognize that design! ;)

Zoomed makes a good tortoise house, and your little guy looks like he is king of his domain! :D

I bought it preowned for a couple bucks, I couldn't beat that! It was like new :)

Status
Not open for further replies.