Well it's finally happened...

Status
Not open for further replies.

james

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san diego
WOW! 4 months later. jeez. i'm glad she's back home!

bluejen1313

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Good luck Kelly. I lost one of my red foots for about 20 minutes and I was so freaked out. I wish you the best. Jennifer

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
what a story that redfoot has to tell! i'm glad she's alive and well!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
i know, i wish she could tell it!!!! she ended up only about four houses down, too! to figure she was under our noses the whole time!!!! the truly amazing thing is... how did she get in that fenced yard?!? ROFL he had a nice tight fence! the guy seemed scared of her, too, it was quite funny actually - he just pointed, "she's over there in the corner, sitting in the sun" but wouldn't go up close to her. I mean, she's really not all that big compared to the snappers running around here, that is!!!

she seems a bit upset now that she's in the house and has limited space to move around in!!! she even flipped herself over in the water dish the other day! scared the life out of me, again... i think i've gotten a few gray hairs over that tortoise!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kelly, I am so glad to hear Sasoi is home and doing well. It always amazes me when I find people afraid of torts.
They are such sweet creatures.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thats great news Kelly!! I had a RES disappear for about 2 months and we have block walls 2 foot deep in the dirt. Have no idea how he got there but he did and he lived under there tree for two months. So are you going to keep her, since you got rid of the other ones??

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Congrats Kelly - great news!

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
It's funny, Jen, because the first day all of the kids were saying they wanted me to keep her, especially Deontay. And now after a week, they hardly know she's here and Deontay said she's rather boring. :\ Wow have things changed??? Frankly I don't know if I'll keep her or not! She's in a bin on my kitchen counter right now, LOL, all my space is used on the rats, dragons and... kids! LOL!

Oh but I wouldn't sell her too quickly, either. After four months in the great outdoors, I think I need to give her some time to make sure she IS healthy and doing well!

M

Maggie Cummings

cvalda said:
tortoise escapee!

I had the red-foots out today, and Sasoi escaped. Can't find her anywhere! And the thing is, there is a looooong line of dense bushes behind our yard, so I'm sure she's in there somewhere. The kids searched for a long time, and we took Ashi door to door to show all the neighbors so hopefully someone will see her in a day or two.

Weather-wise, she'll be fine. Food-wise, she's got it made. Racoon-wise.... a little nervous... and if those rotten boys down the street find her, REALLY scared there!!!

I was told by my local turtle/tortoise expert that to find an escapee you need to crawl around on your hands and knees putting your eye level down to the turtles eye level. When you get down like that everything looks differently because you are now looking at stuff just like the turtle sees it. I have only had 3 escapees in the time I've been keeping tortoises and on my hands and knees I found 2 of them. And the third hibernated that winter somewhere and was found by the gardener next door come spring. HTH

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Kelly that is wonderful!! I told you not to give up hope. It amazes me how often you hear great stories like yours.

Marla

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
RainbowValley, AZ.
cvalda said:
GUESS WHAT! Dude I had to search to find this post to post the news...

Last Friday, a neighbor came into my yard and said he thought my "turtle" was in his yard. I just assumed it'd be another snapper, but went to check anyway.

IT WAS SASOI! She was sitting in his yard (a fenced in yard so who knows how she got in!) just enjoying the sun! She looks great - chubby, no wounds, no respiratory issues. I dunno how she survived four months without getting eaten by racoons, she lived through all the flooding, and the last few weeks have been COLD with frost on the ground some mornings!!!!

AMAZING!

I had to set up a bin for her since we don't have any RF's left at all... LOL!

Still have a little Russian wandering the great outdoors tho...

I love happy ending...

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...So glad you got your little runaway BRAT back.
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.