What am i?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy

5 Year Member
My brother has had her for awhile. Her name is Amanda. We have no idea what type she is. She has grown an inch or so.

Help us please:)

Attachments

• image-909871825.png
    image-909871825.png
    948.4 KB · Views: 125

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
http://aboxturtle.com/box_turtle_species_overview.htm

http://www.ehow.co.uk/facts_5918246_box-turtle-habitat-lighting.html

http://turtlepuddle.org/american/boxcare.html

I am not the best at id'g turtles...however, I believe you have some type of box turtle....I am not well versed in these beauties...but my post here will bump your thread and hopefully one of the other who has experience directly will correct me if I am waaaaay off base...:D

I have referenced these links so that you can peek at them to see if any match or come close to the critter in question.....

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Cute lil boxie you have there. It looks a bit dehydrated to me though. A warm soak would help. Also read the section of the forum for box turtles. Very informative stuff. Welcome to tfo!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Could be a three toe box turtle.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Box turtle of some kind, I use to have ornate boxies and they would go into hibernation early November. If you dont have a heat source for your turtle it will want to go into hibernation. Some people let them hibernate and some dont. Most turtle owners dont let a new turtle hibernate

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
dannyboy said:
My brother has had her for awhile. Her name is Amanda. We have no idea what type she is. She has grown an inch or so.

Help us please:)

Hi there! What a beautiful box turtle! Love the name, super cute! My only question is, what has it been eating? Different turtles and tortoises have specific dietary needs depending on the species. Box turtles need a combination of leafy greens, veggies, animal protein (like earthworms, silkworms, and wax worms), and can eat occasional fruit like strawberries. Since your brother did not know it's a box turtle, he might not have been feeding it everything it needs to stay healthy. But, now you know, so all's good! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Amanda is more than likely a MALE, but for sure a three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis).

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
dmmj said:
Could be a three toe box turtle.

Indeed, it is!

An excellent potential pet, too, if properly cared for.

And, yes, it's a male, so rather than giving it gender-identity issues, your brother might consider renaming him. :rolleyes:

Be sure and check out our Box turtle section, so as to get the info to keep him plenty healthy. :cool:

And welcome to all 3 of you (you, your brother, your Boxie). :tort:

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
OK, duh, I just realized you already knew this was a box turtle, just not the species. That's fantastic; I'm sorry I gave you advice you obviously don't need. Good luck with this little sweetie-pie!

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
emysemys said:
Amanda is more than likely a MALE, but for sure a three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis).

I agree - three toed box turtle - but looking more male than female to me as well. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'll go with male Three Toed too. You should feed him on a piece of slate or a flat stone, as his beak is a little bit over grown. Looks like he's got good coloring too.

Status
Not open for further replies.