What bedding is best for Russian Tortoises?

SunniRaee

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Need a little assistance on what type of bedding should I use for my two Russian tortoise babies? I keep hearing alot of different things but I'm still not 100%. I dont want anything that is toxic, easy for them to swallow or get in their eyes. I also dont want anything that will mold fast or create mites.

Right now I'm using Aspen bedding, which I find myself changing once every week in a half.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My substrate of choice for all species is orchid bark, the small particles (it usually comes in three sizes, fine, medium and large)

daniellenc

Maryland
Aspen should also not be used at all ever!! Cypress or orchid bark work perfectly and aren’t messy. Also mites aren’t created by substrate and instead brought in by infected animals so you should be safe there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I prefer coco coir for little one, so they can burrow down into it and make a little micro climate for themselves, and fine grade orchid bark for larger ones. Use a thick layer of either, 3-4", and you can get both in bulk from a garden center MUCH cheaper than at a pet store.

Oogway the russian tort

i mix 50/50 mix of cypress mulch and organic potting soil. Aspen isn't that good of a bedding since when it gets wet it can rot and get all nasty,

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
i mix 50/50 mix of cypress mulch and organic potting soil. Aspen isn't that good of a bedding since when it gets wet it can rot and get all nasty,

I definitely wouldn’t use potting soil. You can never know the composition, and it gets muddy when wet. I would use peat moss or coco coir instead with the cypress mulch :)

TobyAndMarissa

Grafton, WI
I use hay for Tobys bedding, according to the vet, if he has dirt in there he might try to eat it and choke. Also hay is not as messy as dirt.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I use hay for Tobys bedding, according to the vet, if he has dirt in there he might try to eat it and choke. Also hay is not as messy as dirt.

You definitely should never use hay. It gets moldy when damp, and you need it damp. Please remove it, and replace it with peat moss, coco coir, fine grade orchid bark(by far the best), or fine grade cypress mulch.
Please give these links a read :)
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/

Jay Bagley

Michigan
I would definitely have to agree, hay does not work well. I Googled tortoise care before I came here and one of the pictures that I saw had a tortoise enclosure full of hay. So that's what I put in his hide at that time. It got very dusty and seemed to irritate my tortoises eyes.

TobyAndMarissa

Grafton, WI
Yeah, actually my tort got a eye infection because of the hay dust. I will most likely change his bedding pretty soon

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Yeah, actually my tort got a eye infection because of the hay dust. I will most likely change his bedding pretty soon
Good call!!! Thankfully mine didn't get an eye infection, but every time he came out of his hide he was blinking a lot and kind of squinting.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
That sounds horrible, yeah I would definitely change it out as soon as possible.