What can I do to encourage eating?

PollyAda

Location (City and/or State)
West Midlands, England
Coaster, my new, adult russian still hasnt eaten after a week. I know I probably shouldn't be worried but I can't help it :( he gave a piece of cucumber a nice long sniff today but that's all. The first two soaks I gave him induced a poop, so I know he ate before I got him and isn't constipated. His urates have been gooey, not grainy so I think that means he's adequately hydrated. I've given him a short soak almost every day. I've tried a lot of different foods. Cucumber, cilantro, a big variety of healthy greens. I've even tried giving him tiny pieces of apple, plantain and watermelon which I know is wrong.. is there anything I havent tried that could help? I've got a nice, much bigger home to move him into. I'm just waiting for him to eat before I do that. I'm not pestering him and he isnt showing any fear of me. He isnt interested in doing anything other than a single bask, a lap or two around his house, then he buries himself for the rest of the day unless I move him back into his basking area, in which case, he repeats his routine. When he basks, he acts very aware and looks around.
Have you tried coating the weeds/greens with soaked Mazuri?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
My Russian won't touch food if it has mazuri anywhere near it 8-(. I do agree that radicchio is his "go to" favorite. I also soak at approx 95 degrees, and I just leave him be as much as possible to settle in, and let him get used to your presence around him. If you can, try setting up a camera. You might find that while when you "check in" it looks like he hasn't done much, he may be moving around a lot when you aren't there:

I was surprised to see how much more active Fezzik was once I got a camera on him. (Note this is his indoor/night box, much of the year he lives outside in a 10' x 12' enclosure).

Kevboosh

California
Moving him into his bigger kiddie pool house seems to have been a good idea. He hasn't buried himself after finishing his after bath bask. Very active. Exploring and sniffing everything. I made him some big mounds of substrate that I thought he would just dig holes in, but he seems more interested in climbing them. I bet he eats soon :)

Kevboosh

California
Seems happy in this video? I've added a hide and some rocks since I made this video. Still hasnt eaten but I've added radicchio to his food and stopped with the watermelon. I think he's been planning his escape lol

Kevboosh

California
Are you adding humidity in there?
Adults should have 30-50%. Pour some warm water along the edges to get the bottom da

Are you adding humidity in there?
Adults should have 30-50%. Pour some warm water along the edges to get the bottom damp.
This is what it looks like under the surface. Cant squeeze water out but my hand feels slightly moist after running my fingers through it. Still needs more? I just put used my humidity measurer for the first time and it's at about 58%. Do I need to lower it? How can I do that?

Attachments

• IMG_20230406_142928488_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230406_142928488_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Kevboosh

California
This is what it looks like under the surface. Cant squeeze water out but my hand feels slightly moist after running my fingers through it. Still needs more? I just put used my humidity measurer for the first time and it's at about 58%. Do I need to lower it? How can I do that?
Maybe I was using it wrong. I had it sitting flat on the substrate. I stood it up straight and now it's at 55. Might be going down more, just very slowly. Will check it in a bit and update

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My little Russian likes escarole. And yes to no mazuri until he begins to eat. Especially if he's wild caught. They smell their food and if it's strange they won't eat it. I've had a heck of a time(years) getting my tortoise to eat anything but greens and the only mazuri he tolerates is the LS. He won't eat any other brands or mazuri formula at all. It does take time when you first get them especially this time of year. That's a triple whammy. New food new house and still the time of year to sleep. He's adorable and looks like he's adjusting though. As a matter of fact he looks content just checking stuff out.

Kevboosh

California
My little Russian likes escarole. And yes to no mazuri until he begins to eat. Especially if he's wild caught. They smell their food and if it's strange they won't eat it. I've had a heck of a time(years) getting my tortoise to eat anything but greens and the only mazuri he tolerates is the LS. He won't eat any other brands or mazuri formula at all. It does take time when you first get them especially this time of year. That's a triple whammy. New food new house and still the time of year to sleep. He's adorable and looks like he's adjusting though. As a matter of fact he looks content just checking stuff out.
Thank you. I have his food in multiple areas for now and only some of them have a single mazuri nugget by them. Not coating anything. If he's wild caught, it definately happened when he was a lot younger. He has absolutely no fear of humans(or anything else) and has scrape marks on the top of his shell from it rubbing against the top of his hide. I think he was in that pet store for a very long time.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you. I have his food in multiple areas for now and only some of them have a single mazuri nugget by them. Not coating anything. If he's wild caught, it definately happened when he was a lot younger. He has absolutely no fear of humans(or anything else) and has scrape marks on the top of his shell from it rubbing against the top of his hide. I think he was in that pet store for a very long time.
I don't think most tortoises do have a real fear of humans anyway. I could be wrong about that. It's more natural reflexes when you touch them suddenly without them being aware of what you are. If I'm wrong I would love to see and understand that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nope that all sounds fine.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think most tortoises do have a real fear of humans anyway. I could be wrong about that. It's more natural reflexes when you touch them suddenly without them being aware of what you are. If I'm wrong I would love to see and understand that.
I think some have a fear but most I think react because we come to them from above and so would their wild enemies.
If you come to them from the front where they see you, then put your hand almost flat on the ground and went to them straight on, they likely would not react or react less. I know mine do.

Kevboosh

California
That makes sense. They're pretty safe compared to most animals their size. It takes a lot to make him pull inside his shell. He seems very accustomed to being handled. I think he enjoys gentle head scratches with the tooth brush I clean his shell with because he stretches his neck out so much when I do it.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
He looks very alert. It’s great to see him wandering around and checking things out. Definitely doesn’t look ill. You have received excellent advice here already. Keep your temps good, humidity on point and keep putting the food out, even if you don’t think he will eat it. Have you tried possibly holding a leaf near his mouth to see if he will go for it? My tortoise can be a bit of a princess from time to time. If I notice he’s not eating his food, I’ll try holding a piece near his mouth and he will usually eat It. Generally once I get him going he will continue eating on his own. Something to try. In general, try and give him his space. He might be nervous in his new environment and surroundings. Allowing him to settle in will make a big difference. If you feel the need to watch what he’s up to, try installing an inexpensive wifi camera on his enclosure that you can watch from outside of the room he’s in. In no time he will realize you aren’t there to cause him any harm and that you’re actually the food god! 🙂

Kevboosh

California
He looks very alert. It’s great to see him wandering around and checking things out. Definitely doesn’t look ill. You have received excellent advice here already. Keep your temps good, humidity on point and keep putting the food out, even if you don’t think he will eat it. Have you tried possibly holding a leaf near his mouth to see if he will go for it? My tortoise can be a bit of a princess from time to time. If I notice he’s not eating his food, I’ll try holding a piece near his mouth and he will usually eat It. Generally once I get him going he will continue eating on his own. Something to try. In general, try and give him his space. He might be nervous in his new environment and surroundings. Allowing him to settle in will make a big difference. If you feel the need to watch what he’s up to, try installing an inexpensive wifi camera on his enclosure that you can watch from outside of the room he’s in. In no time he will realize you aren’t there to cause him any harm and that you’re actually the food god! 🙂
A few times I've sat pieces of food right in front of him while he's basking or napping.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think some have a fear but most I think react because we come to them from above and so would their wild enemies.
If you come to them from the front where they see you, then put your hand almost flat on the ground and went to them straight on, they likely would not react or react less. I know mine do.
My little guy is like that too. When I first got him I would just sit and watch him. But I've also used that with wild tortoises too. They're only afraid with quick movements that invade their space. My other animals also. Rabbits are like that. Dogs have a way they like to be approached too if they don't know you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My little guy is like that too. When I first got him I would just sit and watch him. But I've also used that with wild tortoises too. They're only afraid with quick movements that invade their space. My other animals also. Rabbits are like that. Dogs have a way they like to be approached too if they don't know you
Yes, it can be a rule with most any animal, but most people don't get it and want to go over the top. Much safer to go straight in at face level with a slow hand.