What do I do with a Tortoise prolapse

Lil Kevo

Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have sulcata but he has a prolapse for a week now, I tried putting him in sugar water and epson salt. And pushing it back in but nothing worked. And taking him to the vet isn’t an option so I need away to fix this. Please tell me.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I have sulcata but he has a prolapse for a week now, I tried putting him in sugar water and epson salt. And pushing it back in but nothing worked. And taking him to the vet isn’t an option so I need away to fix this. Please tell me.
You need a Vet or your tortoise will most likely die. Why is a Vet not an option?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it dries out it dies. Then if the dead tissue doesn't fall off on its own it requires surgery to remove it. Do you think it's the penis or is it some other internal organ?

Prolapse happens because the tortoise is straining too hard. Straining happens because he's trying to push something out that's too hard or too large to come out - a kidney/bladder stone, constipated feces, a large parasite load, etc.

You may not think so, but this is life threatening to your tortoise. Beg or borrow money for the vet. Some vets will take monthly payments. Even if YOU are able to push the prolapsed organ back in, it won't stay in unless you fix whatever caused it in the first place.

Lil Kevo

CA
If it dries out it dies. Then if the dead tissue doesn't fall off on its own it requires surgery to remove it. Do you think it's the penis or is it some other internal organ?

Prolapse happens because the tortoise is straining too hard. Straining happens because he's trying to push something out that's too hard or too large to come out - a kidney/bladder stone, constipated feces, a large parasite load, etc.

You may not think so, but this is life threatening to your tortoise. Beg or borrow money for the vet. Some vets will take monthly payments. Even if YOU are able to push the prolapsed organ back in, it won't stay in unless you fix whatever caused it in the first place.
Do you know how much I have to pay for the vet