What do your tortoises like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoisesRock!

5 Year Member
My lil Russian loves collard greens! We have also tried very dark leaf lettuces, but her favorite so far is definitely the collards. She also loves dandelion greens, of course! She is absolutely thrilled by banana, don't worry I know this is a treat for her so she recieves it infrequently. I was just wondering what everyone elses' torts enjoy eating?

Defiant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I feed Dandelion, Grape, Escarole and Collard. Fruits I feed Cantaloupe, plum, mango and strawberry. Mine shows no preference as long as its fresh.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Nelson (Russian) will eat anything I give him but he really seems to like radicchio. He also loves clover, both the leaves and the flower.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've never had a picky russian. At least not once they acclimated to captivity. Some of the fresh imports take a while to get up to speed, but if you keep them warm enough, set them up right and worm them (if needed), they should eat just about anything you put in front of them, especially in the spring time. I've had people give them to me and tell me the were picky or just not hungry. Once I set them up, the appetite was always great. Over time I began to speculate that some people must be missing some element of the husbandry. The most logical conclusion was temperatures, but maybe its a combination of elements.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
My littlle guy probably likes Mazuri/Grassland best, followed by pumpkin and squash, followed by edible flowers, followed by mustard and radish greens. Hates collard greens but will eat them if that is all on his tile. Never fed him fruit.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Its a commercial tortoise diet (one of the two I'd recommend; most are junk) made by Purina. It comes in pellets that for most torts you'd want to soak in warm water. They love it, but I consider it a good small part of the diet. Some people on the forum sell it, or you can get it on Ebay or lots of other places. People buy the 25 lb containers and re-package it, or you can buy a 1 lb bag yourself. Some even feed this as the tort's only food. Zoos use it. The other one I like is Grassland Tortoise Food, which is rather comparable.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A word of advice don't introduce your russian(s) to hibiscus unless you have a steady supply of them, mine act like little crack addicts around them, I am just glad I got about a dozen or so plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.