What dog food do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Speaking of vegetables, I read an article a while back about the alleged oldest dog in the world. It lived to be 29 (a black lab mix I believe) and was fed a serving of fresh vegetables every day. That may not have had much to do with its age, but apparently it didn't hurt.

My dog loves vegetables. Whenever I'm chopping them I give him the scraps and he's happy as a clam. I usually put a few baby carrots on his food. He also eats whatever greens and cactus pads and my tortoise can't finish before they go bad. He gets all the baby spinach out of the spring mix.

They're not the main part of his diet by any means. Hopefully the extra antioxidants will do some good.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Tortus said:
Speaking of vegetables, I read an article a while back about the alleged oldest dog in the world. It lived to be 29 (a black lab mix I believe) and was fed a serving of fresh vegetables every day. That may not have had much to do with its age, but apparently it didn't hurt.

My dog loves vegetables. Whenever I'm chopping them I give him the scraps and he's happy as a clam. I usually put a few baby carrots on his food. He also eats whatever greens and cactus pads and my tortoise can't finish before they go bad. He gets all the baby spinach out of the spring mix.

They're not the main part of his diet by any means. Hopefully the extra antioxidants will do some good.

My vet said dogs were scavengers. My dogs eat crab apples that fall off a tree in my backyard. He said that dogs have tearing and grinding teeth so they can eat both meat and vegetables/fruit. My dogs love veggies. Tonight they had some apple(non crab) and rutabaga too.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've been feeding Raw Food for years now and would never go back. Our Chocolate Labradors love it and so does our pug. This might be a good read for anyone who feeds commercial dog food. This woman has studied the pet food companies for 20 + years now. The information in it is eye opening.

P.S. I love to hear all of you that feed raw already and I've got to admit I'm surprised and happy for your dogs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0939165562/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

DSC04645-1.jpg

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
My dogs eat Kahoots brand Salmon and sweet potato dog food. I was giving them the brand Costco carries but found out it contained fillers like russet potatos and dog food meal (which is nasty stuff) about two weeks after I switched my Rat Terrier's coat got super soft. My dogs also eat the same Sunrider herbs I eat, veggies and apple and pear peelings (because I don't like the peelings) bully sticks to chew on (nasty things) and my poodle gets a little of whatever greens the torts are eatting. Oh ya and muzuri for a treat.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Candy said:
I've been feeding Raw Food for years now and would never go back. Our Chocolate Labradors love it and so does our pug. This might be a good read for anyone who feeds commercial dog food. This woman has studied the pet food companies for 20 + years now. The information in it is eye opening.

P.S. I love to hear all of you that feed raw already and I've got to admit I'm surprised and happy for your dogs.

DSC04645-1.jpg
Adorable pic!!!

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Kerryann said:
My vet said dogs were scavengers. My dogs eat crab apples that fall off a tree in my backyard. He said that dogs have tearing and grinding teeth so they can eat both meat and vegetables/fruit. My dogs love veggies. Tonight they had some apple(non crab) and rutabaga too.

When my dog was around 2 I didn't realize apple seeds are poisonous. I gave him an apple core and he almost died. :(

For those who do a raw food diet, how much more expensive is that than a good commercial dog food? I've thought about it. Then I thought I'd have to wash his face every day since he'd have chicken juice on his beard.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
That's not bad. What specific cuts are best? I also hear you should introduce raw diet gradually?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Thank you Erin, I love this picture too. This is one of the brands that I use to feed our dogs. It costs us $6.45 a day to feed all 4 dogs this way. We have 3 full sized 60 lb dogs and 1 30 lb pug so that's not bad. Most people I know spend this on just buying lunch everyday or cigerettes. ;) I feel that they would die protecting us. I think we owe them a good life too. You wouldn't feed your children oatmeal everyday of their lives so why not mix it up for the pups? :p The dogs just love their tripe and their bones too.

http://www.darwinspet.com/darwins-raw-dog-food/

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Candy said:

DSC04645-1.jpg

That is all kinds of cute :(

Tortus said:
Kerryann said:

When my dog was around 2 I didn't realize apple seeds are poisonous. I gave him an apple core and he almost died. :(

For those who do a raw food diet, how much more expensive is that than a good commercial dog food? I've thought about it. Then I thought I'd have to wash his face every day since he'd have chicken juice on his beard.

I have been hearing the same thing about brown rice. It contains arsenic.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
With raw you feed them about 2-3% of their ideal body weight from what I've read. I really don't have the freezer space otherwise I'd do it. I've given them raw organ meat and necks before from whole chickens but my freezer is really a joke of space. Can't even fit a freezer pizza in there without breaking the edges off.

As for diets I hate.. Ole Roy, Old Yeller (15 dollars for like 40 pounds = hope you like cleaning up a lot of poop. Not to mention it's named after a movie where the dog dies so that's bad enough marketing), Beneful (all those dyes are no good), and Science Diet (ridiculously overpriced for corn as the 1st ingredient).

A vet I worked for recommended green beans as a snack for dogs, especially for those who are overweight and the owners still want to spoil them with treats. You can soak them in meat juices or just get excited about giving them to them and most will gladly take it.

Back when I was younger we had a garden and our dog would frequently graze the peas sticking through the fence, the berries in the berry patch, and eat any carrots we culled and tried to throw into the compost pile.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Grain Free is the way to go.. or its the new Fad.. but more foods are being made that way now..
COSTCO just started carrying a new one.. Its made for them, but Taste Of the Wild.. about $10 cheaper per bag.. the kibbles are bigger tho.. and the variety is not as good..

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
So what about supplements?

For the past 4 years or so I've been giving mine salmon oil and brewer's yeast daily. The oil comes in a pump bottle and I put 4 squirts on his food in the morning. He seems to enjoy both and his coat is always shiny. Once in a while he gets these blueberry antioxidant treats, but they're too expensive to feed every day for me.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Tortus said:
So what about supplements?

For the past 4 years or so I've been giving mine salmon oil and brewer's yeast daily. The oil comes in a pump bottle and I put 4 squirts on his food in the morning. He seems to enjoy both and his coat is always shiny. Once in a while he gets these blueberry antioxidant treats, but they're too expensive to feed every day for me.

I have a senior dog that will be 12 years old this upcoming summer. She gets milk thislte and SAMe for liver function and gluocosamine/chondroiton for her bones and joints. I used to give salmon oil but I don't now. Not that I don't want to. It's just that she is on those supplements plus a couple of medications for conditions she has. It gets quite expensive! I really should get her back on the salmon oil though.

Niki

5 Year Member
I have two chi's and a Lhasa poo.. I feed them mostly raw. I trade off between the various brands, Primal ( which I love ) Stella & Chewy's etc.. I also go to Whole Foods when I can and buy chicken necks and beef bone marrow. They love it! When I am out of town they get ziwipeak canned food. I try not to feed kibble anymore.
My 8 yr old was getting chunky, she has slimmed down and acts like a puppy. My new rescue ( who was on purina ) looks so much better! I also add an omega capsule ( sardine & anchovy oil) and a probiotic daily. My dogs probably eat better than my kids! I have really tried to research the best diet and this so far is working.

Candy said:

Candy, I totally agree! My dogs have thrived on raw! I buy commercial raw, but I also enjoy making them home "cooked" raw meals too! I also have read a ton of articles regarding dog health and it's unbelievable what these companies put in dog food. My dogs are my babies, I want them to healthy and around as long as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.