What Fertilizer can I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icicle

5 Year Member
What Fertilizer can I use to feed my plants that is safe for my RT?

Right now I'm growing Kale, and Collards inside.

So far 4 days have past and they have started to sprout up.
Also I'm thinking on setting up an Aeroponic setup, and was wondering what kind of liquid food can I use?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
icicle said:

Also I'm thinking on setting up an Aeroponic setup, and was wondering what kind of liquid food can I use?

Sun-cured chicken, rabbit and goat "poop" is excellent, dog and/or cat is not. Your tortoise's "poop" is also excellent...if you know anyone w/ a medium to large sulcata, you likely could have all you can ever use!

Your nearest gardening store likely has manure-based fertilizer, but it's generally sold in 50# bags...might be more than you want.

If you'd like a couple #'s of sun-cured chicken, rabbit and goat "poop", I'll send you some, in a gallon zip-lock, for the price of the postage...we have PLENTY! :cool:

montana

5 Year Member
I would be hesitant to use turtle poop for fear of passing parasites and bacteria.. For a hydro set up you will need to use a prepared fertilizer and follow the directions ..

icicle

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
icicle said:

Sun-cured chicken, rabbit and goat "poop" is excellent, dog and/or cat is not. Your tortoise's "poop" is also excellent...if you know anyone w/ a medium to large sulcata, you likely could have all you can ever use!

Your nearest gardening store likely has manure-based fertilizer, but it's generally sold in 50# bags...might be more than you want.

If you'd like a couple #'s of sun-cured chicken, rabbit and goat "poop", I'll send you some, in a gallon zip-lock, for the price of the postage...we have PLENTY! :cool:

I have all the rabbit poop I need, I'm looking more towards liquid for my hydroponics

montana said:
I would be hesitant to use turtle poop for fear of passing parasites and bacteria.. For a hydro set up you will need to use a prepared fertilizer and follow the directions ..
any special brand to use?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
icicle said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
icicle said:

I have all the rabbit poop I need, I'm looking more towards liquid for my hydroponics

montana said:
any special brand to use?

Put the poop in water, let it soak for about a week, mix it together w/ more water, thinned down to a medium-dark liquid, then just bottle it up until you use it (I use milk jugs)...that's how hydroponics was done since about 5,000 years ago, up until well into the last century.

Lava rock makes an excellent planting medium.

I think you'll find that these two links will get you up to speed very quickly:

http://www.simplyhydro.com/system.htm
http://www.growingedge.com/basics/tutorial/01_history.html

montana

5 Year Member
You can make manure tea as we call it as suggested.. Or any garden fertilizer [water based]that is for the growth cycle [not flowering] ... To give you a brand is not necessary as there are scores that would work one as well as another

Status
Not open for further replies.