Can I use Nitrogen Fertilizer?

BP12

5 Year Member
Hello,
The soil in the area is almost all clay and the leafs on our plants and trees are turning yellow.
Our landscaper is suggesting using a Nitrogen Fertilizer.
Is this OK for the Tortoises?
Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Fertilizers are fine to use. Here are a couple of caveats:
-Make sure it is plain fertilizer with nothing added. No "weed n feed" or insecticides mixed in.
- The tortoise cannot have direct access to the actual fertilizer product. Whatever you use, make sure it is fully absorbed into the soil and give it all at least few days to sink in under a heavy watering schedule. If you can still see granules, then the tortoise can't be out there.

I'm not sure yellow leaves are due to lack of nitrogen, but I'll leave that to people who know more about plants than I do.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hello,
The soil in the area is almost all clay and the leafs on our plants and trees are turning yellow.
Our landscaper is suggesting using a Nitrogen Fertilizer.
Is this OK for the Tortoises?
Thank you!

I would not use a commercially processed fertilizer, period. You can use a variety of natural items as fertilizer that will not harm....banana peels, you can eat one, then toss the skin into a hole then plop in a plant....coffee ground spread about before watering...crushed cleaned egg shells right into the soil...also, weeds that grow in your yard can be composted and reused to fertilize....yup....and hold tight, human pee...worm castings and all kinds of other natural items are much better than commercial fertilizer which in the long term are harmful....

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
I would not use a commercially processed fertilizer, period. You can use a variety of natural items as fertilizer that will not harm....banana peels, you can eat one, then toss the skin into a hole then plop in a plant....coffee ground spread about before watering...crushed cleaned egg shells right into the soil...also, weeds that grow in your yard can be composted and reused to fertilize....yup....and hold tight, human pee...worm castings and all kinds of other natural items are much better than commercial fertilizer which in the long term are harmful....

What about liquid miracle grow? I’m waiting for my Nematodes to ship, I have extreme gnat and mosquito infestation [emoji30] and can’t spay like we did last year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What about liquid miracle grow? I’m waiting for my Nematodes to ship, I have extreme gnat and mosquito infestation [emoji30] and can’t spay like we did last year.
It should be fine, but i'd allow a week of heavy rain or heavy sprinkling to make it all soak in before allowing the tortoise access to the sprayed area.

And make sure its is just plain fertilizer, not a "weed n feed" or anything with pesticides or other additives.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Miracle grow is a synthetic fertilizer....which means it is created from inorganic stuff from petroleum products or petroleum by products....so, no....I would not use any Miracle Grow product to begin with and again, I would not use commercial fertilizers....I especially would not use them within the tortoise enclosure or any place where water run off into the enclosure can occur....

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

You can also try cinnamon oil and water (15% cinnamon oil to 85% water) and spray around your yard....now, I have not done this as mosquitos are not a really big issue where I live....but I have read that this will kill off the larvae in about 6 to 8 hours??? may be worth looking into...and hey, it likely smells really good too...