What humidity levels are correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJDruce

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield, UK
I'm just wondering what humidity levels I should be trying to stay in range of?

I've read online that Horsfield tortoises need low humidities. But I don't really know what low is. Because the lowest my setup has gotten is about 29% and it reached around 70% when it rained the other day.

Any help would be great :) Thanks

Paul Druce
Sheffield, UK
Nerdy Mathsy Physicsy Guy with love for shelled warriors! :)

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
Lower than 40% is okay. I have the same issue as you when it rains. I wouldn't really worry about humidity. Just keep it relatively low.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I disagree that lower than 40% is okay and to not worry about humidity. With any tortoise, regardless of species, Temperature, light intensity & duration and humidity govern their every move. Humidity plays an important role in their daily activity, whether it be ideal, too high or too low. It, in part, determine what the tortoise does.
Russian tortoises are a temperate climate dessert species. Because of the climate they inhabit in the wild they have evolved to be a true burrowing species. This adaptation is almost certainly out of the necessity for them having the need to escape the extreme dryness of their environment as well as temperature extremes both hot and cold. Regardless of whether it's in the wild or captivity, when a Russian tortoise is being kept too dry, combined with heat, it will almost always seek shelter underground if it's environment allows it to. At the very least it will seek shelter in a cooler area above ground. If it is too dry too long the tortoise may likely begin to aestivate in order to wait out a hot dry spell. If it can burrow into a cooler, more moist soil it will. This helps keep the tortoise from overheating and to also retain body moisture. Both to keep from dehydrating. At the other extreme, Russian tortoises can become problematic when keeping them in conditions that are continuously too damp, regardless of temperatures. They simply are not designed for such conditions unlike most of their Testudo cousins, most of which come from a completely different type of environment. Russians tortoises need to be able to be completely dry above ground with higher humidity below ground, but in both cases relatively dry. Higher ambient air temperatures, within reason, 70-85% are not a problem as long as the tortoise is able to remain dry and gets some opportunity to sun itself in an area that gets very hot and is dry. Under normal conditions in captivity they should be kept in a humidity range of no less than 45% and no higher than 70-75% with 50-55% being ideal. This is probably a bit higher than they would be accustomed to in the wild. But we cannot replicate in captivity the exact parameters that tortoises are exposed to on a daily basis in the wild so we have to settle for a happy medium that will keep the tortoise healthy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a bunch of young russians right now, and my observations, match GB's predictions to the letter. Their above outdoor enclosure is 4x8' and very hot and dry. I made them a little underground bunker to retreat to and its a little damp in there. As soon as ambient above ground temps start climbing into the high 80s or low 90s, the tortoises start either going underground into their humid bunker, or digging into the root balls of plants in their enclosure.

Indoors their humidity is usually between 50 and 60%, but I offer them a humid hide, which they use regularly.

PJDruce

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sheffield, UK
Well, i've got a SunGlo MV lamp, which gets the basking spot up to about 32-34ºC and that has a humidity of 34%-40% and then the other side of the enclosure the temperature is 22-24ºC and has a humidity of 58% at the moment. Does that seem okay?

Also, does anyone know of a way to quickly reduce the humidity in an enclosure? So if it rains for a few days (which is sometimes does here) and the humidity gets particularly high?

Thank you :)

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Your heat light will reduce the humidity. Unless your humidity is getting above 75% I don't think it's a problem.

I'm in a very humid area and my in house tort table humidity ranges from about 52% to 72% over the last few weeks. In winter the head will keep it closer to 50%. I'm thinking that I don't need to worry about too high humidity as long as I don't saturate the substrate. I add water to the top soil and coco coir mix about twice a week or whenever the humidity gets below 58%.

You can mix your substrate to help even out your humidity.

If your substrate feels dry add some water and mix it.

Good luck.

PJDruce

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sheffield, UK
Yeah I'm worried about it being too dry and my tortoise's shell isn't particularly smooth. And I can't remember whether it was when I got her. And I've read that too dry and substrate and not a varied enough diet and be factors for that. So I'm trying to keep it in the right levels. As too high can cause respiratory problem right?

But I'll aim for mid 50%. I can manage that :)

Paul Druce
Sheffield, UK

WillTort2

5 Year Member
Moist and cold could cause a problem, but moist and warm is good for young torts.

I like Tom's method of having a humid hide available. It gives the tort a choice of humidity levels.

Add a humid hide and a drier hide and see where the tort goes.

PJDruce

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sheffield, UK
Currently, I've got a dry hide and a humid hide as you say. But my tortoise just seems to lay under the basking light. And has done for a couple of days now. She's wiggles her way into the soil. But leaves her shell visible.

Any idea what this means?

Paul Druce
Sheffield, UK

PJDruce

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sheffield, UK
Under the light it's 33°C and furthest point away it's 21°C.
The bit she's laid at is 28°C

Paul Druce
Sheffield, UK

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Maybe slightly increase the basking spot but your cold end sounds fine. Digging down could be a sign that she is drying out.

Status
Not open for further replies.