What i saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
auburn mass
I was at petco a couple of days ago and i saw abut 6 russian tortoises in a 4x2 foot tank. I asked the manager if it was ok to ceep them stuffed in like that and she sead "they will be fine". I thot they were to packed in and i was wondering if i am wrong. And then tell me how many you think is ok to have in a tank that size. thx

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
i saw the most horrible situation as well.. look at this little Russian...

My sister has managed petco and petsmart.. i left her a message to see if anything can be done and who would that be....

Now this pic doesnt show how bad it really is.. the back is all sunken in..
IMG00122.jpg

mr.tortoise

5 Year Member
auburn mass
I dont no why pet stors do what they do. Insted of cramping animals in why not get a biger cage. Its like they only think of money if thats all you think of why no sell something you cant hert.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
the conditions at my petcos and petsmart are always horrible. i have only bought a petstore tortoise once before, and that was my 2nd tortoise ever had. many years ago. i will never do that again. and when i go to the stores to look at the poor animals, and i see people about to buy them, i tell them otherwise, and give them information on kingsnake, and this site, and tell him how to properly care for them. i hate seeing adult wild caught russians at petcos and petsmarts during the winter time. they should be hibernating, and you can tell they want to, but since its so warm in there little glass tank, they cant. so sad. i wish i could just free them all.

mr.tortoise

5 Year Member
auburn mass
i need tips

i am getting a russian tortoise in abut 2-3 days i have been reading on them for at least 1 to 2 hrs every day for at least 2 weeks so i was wondering if any one has some tips on any thing from what you think i should feed him or her to what time of year i should take him or her outside(wached). By the way this will be by first tortoise. thx :D

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
My sister says that speaking with them manager and explaining the issue at hand and then teling them you will be notifying PETA, does help.. SHe has worked at petco, petsmart and other smaller chains

mr.tortoise

5 Year Member
auburn mass
thank you for leting me know i will go down and fix the problem then.When i sey PETA she will say more than "they will be fine" lol

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
im not justifiying the reasons for what your local petsmart is doing per say but alot of petstores know in general how fast a certain animal will sell. that is why they looked cramped. they are banking on the fact that the torts will sell quick. also you get more bees with honey and since its a helpless animal that needs attention maybe you should give them pointers and check back. most likely majority will be sold quickly. if not, a humane society would be better to contact. they can make regular visits and make sure all animals are cared for properly and have adequate space. plus they are very good at putting there foot down and making sure changes are made. i get so surprised at all these complaints because these petsmarts are supposed to pride themselves on the best and humane care for animals. they dont even sell live mice for food because they thinks its inhumane. hope this helped

mr.tortoise

5 Year Member
auburn mass
i no what u r saying and that might b true where u r but where i am if it is not fury they dont go to quick and i am saying that not just because i am the only one in my town that i personaly know with a none fury pet but because i go there every 3 to 5 days for something i need so i have a good knowing of the animals that go fast and dont and there 3rd on the slow sellers list after corpions and spiders(we dont have snakes anymore) so they r there quite long mayB a month tops. but i do thank you 4 posting your opinion.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
6 is kinda low I have seen quite a few stuffed in my locxal petco on the order of 10 or so can't recall the dimensions of the cage though, it did seem cramped though.

Status
Not open for further replies.