What is needed for a back yard pen

kenzmorg95

Hi Everyone!
I have a cage for my tort inside my house but my tort likes to go outside. I am thinking about making him an outside pen but I am not sure what materials to use to build it. I have a Russian tort and I know they like to dig and borrow and I am worried that he will borrow under it and escape. I have tons of bricks I could use for the walls or is that a bad idea? I am not sure.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
For my Russian pen I used treated 2 x 12's and then hardware cloth below and above.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1406862691.199732.jpg
You can make it as simple or elaborate as you want. There are some great pictures of all different kinds of enclosures, wooden ones, ones made with cinderblocks or bricks etc. in the enclosure section. I'm sure others will be along soon to show you pictures of their enclosures also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can use bricks, but I would place the first brick down into the ground and build up from there. Measure your tortoise from front to back then add about 4" for the length of his legs. You want to bricks to be taller than the tortoise is when standing on his tippy toes and reaching with his front legs. If they can reach the top of the wall, they can climb over.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My russian's outdoor pen is 6x10 with cinderblocks. I have lots of edible plants, hides, water spot, slate basking spots (good for nails) and a man-made burrow, which he loves and it discourses digging around the end. Just to be safe, I put rocks a few inches into the dirt. I bring him in at night because them raccoons are clever :p

sillyfurby

For my Russian pen I used treated 2 x 12's and then hardware cloth below and above.View attachment 89714
You can make it as simple or elaborate as you want. There are some great pictures of all different kinds of enclosures, wooden ones, ones made with cinderblocks or bricks etc. in the enclosure section. I'm sure others will be along soon to show you pictures of their enclosures also.
Your idea for nice tort homes is cruel. How would you enjoy living like that? There's so little elbow room for the torts, it's a good thing they don't have elbows! Check out my tort's habitat. This pic only shows a small part of it. I realize not everyone has as much space to use, but where there's a will there's usually a way.

Attachments

• 081 hab length 7-14.jpg
    081 hab length 7-14.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 21

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I understand your view and I do wish that the pen for my Tortoise could be bigger but there are various reasons why it is not at this time and I do not feel the need to defend myself. Perfection is not always achievable and there are many right ways to do things. So take suggestions that work for you forget the ones that don't and MoveOn.