What is this, Fungus?

John Ramos

Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
My bigger one has this strange looking sort of fungus looking hole on his underside. It doesn't seem to effect him other than he's not eating like he was. Other than that, he seems normal.

He's got another one towards the front I didn't notice before. They look eroded, not like wear or getting caught between a rock or other things.

He did take a trip a couple of weeks ago, ended up 5 houses away. Could he have picked up something?

Should I try something like Funginail or ?

Thanks....IMG_0398[1].JPG IMG_0399[1].JPG

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I thought it looks like an abrasion, but the edges look crumbly and soft. I keep some "dollar store" general antibiotic cream and general anti fungal around for questionable stuff like that.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
It really looks like a bite of some sort to me, can you show us the two injuries in the same photo? I think it will help show us how he was bit (if that's what happened)... Think you can ask about neighborhood dogs? Are there feral or stray dogs in your area (or in surrounding areas)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think your tortoise has been chewed by a dog. It's probably not a new injury.

What I would do is try to get all the loos stuff off. Pick at it and brush at it with a brush until you have it really clean. Then apply the athlete foot cream. This is just in case it is fungus. But it really looks like an old dog chew mark.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
I think your tortoise has been chewed by a dog. It's probably not a new injury.

What I would do is try to get all the loos stuff off. Pick at it and brush at it with a brush until you have it really clean. Then apply the athlete foot cream. This is just in case it is fungus. But it really looks like an old dog chew mark.
A couple of weeks is old, right?

John Ramos

San Jose, CA
A couple of weeks is old, right?
Huh? Almost 2 years, he was supposed to be 6 months when we got him and I've had him maybe 15 months.
It's a closeup pic of a 6"er

It's just too bad that they don't learn it's a big bad world out there full of dogs, feral cats and other critters that want to eat him. All they want to do is go, doesn't matter where, just go! LOL

Fuga artisti Professionale!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Huh? Almost 2 years, he was supposed to be 6 months when we got him and I've had him maybe 15 months.
It's a closeup pic of a 6"er

It's just too bad that they don't learn it's a big bad world out there full of dogs, feral cats and other critters that want to eat him. All they want to do is go, doesn't matter where, just go! LOL

Fuga artisti Professionale!
I was talking about the crack... I guess I should be more clear next time :p

John Ramos

San Jose, CA
Yes, Hahaha, It's about 3-4 weeks and I guess maybe he was chewed on. There is a Golden Retriever about 2 doors from me, probably just toying with him.

I'll clean it best I can and give it some foot cream for good measure and watch it.

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Yes, Hahaha, It's about 3-4 weeks and I guess maybe he was chewed on. There is a Golden Retriever about 2 doors from me, probably just toying with him.

I'll clean it best I can and give it some foot cream for good measure and watch it.
I hope he's better soon :)

John Ramos

San Jose, CA
Well, as they say, time heals all wounds.

Incidentally, is from some kind of bible or the Koran? "Grandpa Turtle 114";)