What is this?

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I have this popping up in my flower bed (weed bed!) What is it, and can my tortoises eat it? Thanks.IMG_20170714_183258647.jpg

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
West Tennessee. I've searched for a while and I couldn't figure it out. I'll try to post a picture of the flowers tomorrow. I'm hoping that I can feed it to the tortoises, if I find out it's safe. I love finding new weeds to give to the tortoises!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I don't know it's name but I have seen it growing here and for some reason I have never offered to the tortoises I do see some grape and berry leaves in the pic that I would feed though.The dark shading on each leaf is what I recognize.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I don't know it's name but I have seen it growing here and for some reason I have never offered to the tortoises I do see some grape and berry leaves in the pic that I would feed though.The dark shading on each leaf is what I recognize.
I do feed them the grape and berry leaves, but they usually skip over them for the plantain, hibiscus, and mulberry. Thanks for looking.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
It's some sort of knotweed - could be Polygonum, Fallopia, Persicaria, Reynoutria, or Bistorta.
None i know of are known to be toxic. Probably not very palatable.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Thank you! I guess I won't offer it to them, but I'm not going to pull it up if it comes up in their enclosures.