Purslane?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
Yard "weed" in Minnesota, flowering succulent. 007.JPG 010.JPG

If this is purslane, I could kick myself for buying seeds for it! It's popping up all over the yard!

voodoochild

10 Year Member!
Tampa FL
I got some at Lowes then noticed it in my lawn too. The stuff you get in the stores has prettier blooms though.

Prairie Mom

Yes, that's purslane. Don't kick yourself. I have it growing wild and grew some from seed this winter too. You gotta have a variety seeds for zone 4, pretty mamma!:D

FYI: It's edible for humans too! There are many parts of Europe that sell this in the green markets. It tastes really good. -Kind of like a celery with a really pleasing texture. We use it all the time. Don't feel bad if you have too much...you can find lots of uses for it:)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Yes, that's purslane. Don't kick yourself. I have it growing wild and grew some from seed this winter too. You gotta have a variety seeds for zone 4, pretty mamma!:D

FYI: It's edible for humans too! There are many parts of Europe that sell this in the green markets. It tastes really good. -Kind of like a celery with a really pleasing texture. We use it all the time. Don't feel bad if you have too much...you can find lots of uses for it:)
The only reason I am kicking myself is because there were so many other seeds I wanted to get and got those instead!
And of course you're right, in the winter I will use them!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use them sparingly.
They grow great in Sandy areas of the yard and "croak" immediately if I plant them in a pot or water them or mess with them in any way. I have yellow or orange flowers.