What is this?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
This is is so common here under watered trees and landscaping; I’m embarassed not to know but I can’t find an ID.

I didn’t keep my second picture but the lacy foliage is held above thin stems. These might get about one inch tall; I’ve never seen an obvious flower on one.

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
This is is so common here under watered trees and landscaping; I’m embarassed not to know but I can’t find an ID.

I didn’t keep my second picture but the lacy foliage is held above thin stems. These might get about one inch tall; I’ve never seen an obvious flower on one.
I'm sorry, but I can find no link for any pictures. I'd like to be of help, but . . . ?

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
A "spurge" - a weedy Euphorbia
I will get you a specific name tomorrow.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thanks! I wonder if I can find one in a safe spot, just to try.

P.S. I meant to say they reach six to eight inches tall in my first post. No more evening posts for me!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not burr clover, and not chick weed. If it has a milky white sap when a stem is broken, then a type of spurge for sure. Wait for Iochroma to come back with the latin name then you can look it up.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you!

That makes sense. We are in a temperate climate, perhaps that’s why I’ve never seen it before we lived here.

The sap of this plant is used to treat skin lesions and cancers! Wow. Wikipedia tells me the sap is toxic to “highly replicating human tissue.” I’m pretty sure Addy’s skin doesn’t turn over that fast but I think I’ll skip this one.