What is this?

TuttleTime55

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
My tortoise is walking around with this hanging from the underside of the tail. I'm not sure if it's his penis or a prolapse. I am prepared to take him to the ER is necessary but I just wanted to get a confirmation before I stress him out with a drive that would be unnecessary.

20210314_134814.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If it doesn't go back in it's a prolapsed penis. Make a slurry of sugar/water. Put the slurry on a piece of kitchen plastic wrap and cover the penis with it, taping it around the shell like a diaper. The sugar helps decrease the swelling. If it won't go back in it may require amputation.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Maybe give him a soak to see if that helps?
I wouldn't put him back on his substrate - try to keep it clean.
@ZenHerper @zovick

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Can you cut it in half?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Try to increase water intake regular soaks for 40 mins they drink whilst in it and fresh veg and flowers provided washed to increase hydration.

TuttleTime55

Florida
Try to increase water intake regular soaks for 40 mins they drink whilst in it and fresh veg and flowers provided washed to increase hydration.
I will do that, thank you! What do you think this is though? Caused by calcium oxalates?

zovick

10 Year Member!
I was able to cut it in half but I had to use a small hacksaw.
That is a bladder stone, pure and simple. These usually occur from the tortoise not being hydrated enough. They can be life-threatening as well. Luckily, the tortoise was able to pass this one without its health being adversely affected.

To prevent this problem from reoccurring in the future , I would recommend soaking your tortoise daily in lukewarm water for about 20 minutes or so to ensure that it is staying well hydrated. Also you can feed it foods high in water content such as cucumbers, green and yellow squashes, bok choy, tomatoes, and romaine lettuce (all of these average over 90% water content).

zovick

10 Year Member!
My tortoise is walking around with this hanging from the underside of the tail. I'm not sure if it's his penis or a prolapse. I am prepared to take him to the ER is necessary but I just wanted to get a confirmation before I stress him out with a drive that would be unnecessary.

View attachment 320859
Just out of curiosity, what species of tortoise is this? I can't quite tell from what I can see in the photo.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I will do that, thank you! What do you think this is though? Caused by calcium oxalates?
You might find this information helpful in understanding the process of bladder stone formation in a tortoise: