what is wrong with Pokey?? :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area
Hello All....

I saw that Pokey, my ornate has some recent shell damage:(..IDK how it happened I looked back at past pics of her and saw light spots but didnt think it was anything to worry about..until tonight...here are before and after pics

before
boyorgirl.jpg

and after
pokeysflakes2.jpg

pokeyflakes3.jpg

pokeyflakes.jpg

and she needs a beak trim
pokeycameo.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It looks like someone may have chipped her shell. Most likely from her being a turtle.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
well she is rambunctious and pokes along the enclosure (hence her name) thru the plants up and down the logs....but this is concerning me..I am going to keep a much better eye on her!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I can't tell if it's shell rot from the picture, but you can dab a little clotrimazole anti fungal cream on just in case. From the picture it just looks dry. Yes her beak needs a trim. She is beautiful though.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
terryo said:
I can't tell if it's shell rot from the picture, but you can dab a little clotrimazole anti fungal cream on just in case. From the picture it just looks dry. Yes her beak needs a trim. She is beautiful though.

up close the areas are missing......they are chipped away.....:(....

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Laura said:
my first thought is shell rot.. is she always wet> ?

No....she goes in and out of the water dish...I spritz the enclosure...but she is dry.....only wet about once a day....looks like that area of the scutes chipped away..

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
if you look closly at the first photo, you can see the patches tha tnow look dry or :chipped" but in the first photo they are darker brown and not dry, either goopy then or very dry now this didnt just happen and not wwhile under your care so, throw some anti fungal cream on it to make sure it doesnt expand seeing as this is a new development

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
I also agree with Scott. Those spots probably had bacterial shell rot. It makes pitting, which stays filled with dirt and decomposed shell, until something flakes it off.
If you had noticed it when you first got him, the correct action would be to remove the same scute material that has now come off on its own, then treat it with some antibacterial treatment. Nolvasan ointment is fantastic, because it treats both bacteria and fungi, so you're treating all potential keratin feeding microbes with a single treatment.

Clean the areas thoroughly with soap and water, then rinse, let dry and treat. If you take Pokey to the vet for the beak trim, they will give you the proper prescription for treatment of the shell as well.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.