What kind am I?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
Sulcata with a lot of pyramiding. Needs to start getting better care. Is it yours?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Can anyone help to identify the type of tortoise this this?

Thanks in advance 😊
It is a Desert Tortoise, not a sulcata. Check your state laws on keeping them.

Desert Tortoises and sulcata tortoises look similar, but just FYI, sulcata tortoises have no nuchal scute. This one DOES have a nuchal scute, thus it is not a sulcata.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles

Desert Tortoises and sulcata tortoises look similar, but just FYI, sulcata tortoises have no nuchal scute. This one DOES have a nuchal scute, thus it is not a sulcata.
Argh! I had I backwards!!!!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's desperately in need of immediate intervention with an intensive program of proper care all round. Hydration, temperatures, lighting, substrate and diet! It's dying.

Harlikinss

Scottsdale, Arizona
It's desperately in need of immediate intervention with an intensive program of proper care all round. Hydration, temperatures, lighting, substrate and diet! It's dying.
I have them outside in Phoenix, Arizona, they have access to clean water all day every day. Literally change it at least twice daily to ensure it’s clean. I feed some type of greens and tortoise pellets nearly every day. I absolutely do not want to be the reason they are dying. They got pawned off onto me but If I’m not taking proper care of them, I would like to learn or find a better fit for them. I have truly tried so hard to make sure they have everything they need 😩

Harlikinss

Scottsdale, Arizona

Does he look Unhealthy?

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Start here: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/page-4

Babies need to be kept in an entirely closed chamber, or an open top enclosure with a greenhouse or something to keep humidity in. Even though one would think because it’s in a desert it’s high humidity. In fact, babies usually stay underground where the humidity is higher for them.

The pyramiding you can see on its back shows that it’s not been cared for properly already but if you’re willing to make the effort to keep it healthy, there’s no reason why it won’t grow up perfectly fine from here on out.

Just be warned, there’s a lot of really bad information out there on the Internet so it can be very confusing and very conflicting. This site recommends a certain protocol that is listed out in the FAQ above. Good luck just know that if you decide you can’t keep it. You should contact the department of wildlife rather than just give it to somebody else. They’re not actually allowed to be transferred and you may want to look into getting a permit for it and they absolutely cannot be taken out of state

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Dehydration is a real killer condition. Start right away by making him stay in a tub of warmish water up to where his top and bottom shells meet. At least one hour every day or twice per day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have them outside in Phoenix, Arizona, they have access to clean water all day every day. Literally change it at least twice daily to ensure it’s clean. I feed some type of greens and tortoise pellets nearly every day. I absolutely do not want to be the reason they are dying. They got pawned off onto me but If I’m not taking proper care of them, I would like to learn or find a better fit for them. I have truly tried so hard to make sure they have everything they need 😩
Do you have more than one?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Does he look Unhealthy?
It doesn't look all that unhealthy. It just appears that certain things have been lacking in its care which has made the shell get the pyramids. The advice you have been given should make the tortoise healthier and happier going forward.

FYI, it is not legal to keep them in AZ without a permit from the state (which is easily obtained from what I have heard and read).