What kind is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paradise
If anyone knows what kind of turtle is on the right please let me know. I am thinking its a Florida Box Turtle. Thank you for any input.

Attachments

• image-318624983.png
    image-318624983.png
    960.4 KB · Views: 81

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Thank you. Someone offered me her, but I'm pretty stuck on wanting a baby ornate.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
I would also say Florida , but the easiest way to check is flip the turtle over and look at the plastron. Ornates have a colorful pattern on theirs and the Florida's have no design really.

Where do you live ? I don't know too many people who breed ornates. Why do you prefer the ornate to other N. American boxies out of curiosity ??

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Floridas are harder to come by then ornates most of the commercial breeders have ornates. Try turtle source though if I were you I would take the Florida. I plan on having all Carolina subspecies eventually in breeding groups.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Saloli said:
Floridas are harder to come by then ornates most of the commercial breeders have ornates. Try turtle source though if I were you I would take the Florida. I plan on having all Carolina subspecies eventually in breeding groups.

I guess it depends on the state you live in. In Illinois you need a permit to have an ornate so i rarely meet people who have them...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
You are right, Florida Box turtles.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The one on the left is a Florida for sure (Terrapene carolina bauri), however the one on the right isn't. Floridas have a yellow stripe along each side of the head/neck. The turtle on the right doesn't have this stripe. My guess would be an intergrade, with maybe luteola in there someplace.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Thank you for your feedback. I live in south Florida. I just had a baby ornate pass away and he was just the cutest little thing. Stole my heart. If I did find a baby Florida box turtle or knew of someone's who was having a baby, I would for sure take it in a heart beat!

Saloli said:

I appreciate your feedback. I am aware that Florida box turtles are harder to come by which is why it's a tough decision for me. Florida box turtles are illegal to sell down here in South Florida so I can't get a baby. I really want a baby turtle. :( The Florida boxie already has a nice home. The owners were going to give her to me if I wanted her, but she isn't in need of a place. If she was in need I would take her in a flash!

Neal said:
You are right, Florida Box turtles.

Thank you for your input.

emysemys said:
The one on the left is a Florida for sure (Terrapene carolina bauri), however the one on the right isn't. Floridas have a yellow stripe along each side of the head/neck. The turtle on the right doesn't have this stripe. My guess would be an intergrade, with maybe luteola in there someplace.

Thank you for your response. I did question the one on the right. I am unaware of luteola, I will research that.

pryncesssc said:
I would also say Florida , but the easiest way to check is flip the turtle over and look at the plastron. Ornates have a colorful pattern on theirs and the Florida's have no design really.

Where do you live ? I don't know too many people who breed ornates. Why do you prefer the ornate to other N. American boxies out of curiosity ??

Thank you for your feedback. I live in south Florida. I just had a baby ornate pass away and he was just the cutest little thing. Stole my heart. If I did find a baby Florida box turtle or knew of someone's who was having a baby, I would for sure take it in a heart beat!

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
Luteola has a flattened carapace like ornata. Not all Floridas have the yellow dorsal stripe or even the yellow eye stripe but the one on the right actually has both just faintly showing.

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
Saloli said:
Luteola has a flattened carapace like ornata. Not all Floridas have the yellow dorsal stripe or even the yellow eye stripe but the one on the right actually has both just faintly showing.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.