What kind of uvb source do you use? Mvb or neon tube or others?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Hmm... I should take this back. The more I thought about it, I realized there's not a lot of supporting info about that. I created a thread. :D
I think your statement is totally true. If you do rely on a bold for many months out of the year I think you need a meter. When I got my meter I was absolutely shocked at how little UVB was coming out of some of the Long bulbs I bought. I did not have my meter when I had my mercury vapor bulb, I wish I had. very long story short, I use high output bulbs and fixtures. Also these fixtures are about 15 inches above the tortoise and turtle which is another reason I use the high output. If they were just 12 inches the others might work okay, but even when I tested those very little was coming from them.

Romania
So if I buy a solar metre, say 6.2, that measures in uW/cm2 ...I think, so if it reads 30 uW/cm2 from 30 cm it means it's ok, right? My turtle has 6 cm...what else should I check for...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have the 6.5 UV index meter. so I can't help you with that question. What do you mean your tortoise has 6 cm?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Oh. I understand now. I wouldn't put any light closer than 12 inches from the top of your tortoise shell.

Romania
So my turtle has pi*r*r(surface of my 6 cm turtle) 3x3x3.14=28,26 cm2....and that means 30uW/cm2*28,26cm2=847.8uW ....is that too much?

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
So my turtle has pi*r*r(surface of my 6 cm turtle) 3x3x3.14=28,26 cm2....and that means 30uW/cm2*28,26cm2=847.8uW ....is that too much?

The 'standard' value is approximately 50uw/cm2. A little more is probably better than a little less. This value should be measured at tortoise level or midway down the carapace for larger (taller carapaces) tortoises.

Romania
The 'standard' value is approximately 50uw/cm2. A little more is probably better than a little less. This value should be measured at tortoise level or midway down the carapace for larger (taller carapaces) tortoises.
Thank you :)