What kind of uvb source do you use? Mvb or neon tube or others?

Location (City and/or State)
Romania
What kind of uvb source do you use?
Mercury vapor bulb or neon tube or others? Are you satisfied with them?
And do you mesure it to see if it has enough uvb?
Thanks!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am using the long tube type right now. I do measure the UVB with the solar meter 6.5 UV index unit. The meter is expensive but it definitely is valuable in my opinion.

Romania
I have 1 neon tube from exoterra 2.0 repti glo and 1 from sera ...anybody use these? and r u satisfied with them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A 2.0 is going to give you almost zero usable UV. Even the 5.0 bulbs give off very little. Your tortoise has to be 10-12" from a 10.0 to get a very low amount of UVB.

I have used all types of UV bulbs and I do measure their output. MVBs or HO tubes give the most UV and these are best for people who rely on indoor UV for many months of every year.

Personally, I rely on the sun. Nothing works better, and my climate allows for it all year.

Romania
I thought so... but it was the only uvb lamp i could find in my area, so i guess it's better than nothing... i sometimes take the turtle on the balcony (it's Winter now in my area so it's cold, we still have a little snow)open the window and hope some uvb is hitting my turtle...

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
It is prudent to measure UVB output when using artificial sources. As mentioned, they vary greatly and can only be confirmed by actual measurement. I have had reasonable luck with 7.0 & 10.0 36 - 48 dual linear tube installations but prefer MVB floodlights.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm very satisfied with the natural, 100% free sunlight I rely on in the summer :D:p but...
it's cold now, so I use both.
My sliders use MVBs, and I personally like tube lights better (I just do!) so the painteds, mr russain, and miss sulcata for some winter supplementation, all get tube UVBs.
Both are great... but to everybody their open.
Just don't use coil bulbs :D

Romania
well the sera neon has not arrived yet....so can't use the lamp yet...
my turtle is stressed because i'm carrying it's container around the house in the balcony...my apartment is getting cold because the balcony won't close because of the wire to the water heater... adventure time....happy times...# not

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
North East
I use the Zoo Med T5HO high output tubes but I plan on purchasing some Arcadia tubes . My question for the Zoomed high output bulbs is according to the package you decide to purchase the 5.0 or 10.0 depending on the distance or height of the tube to substrate. Is that true? They also recommend on the box 5.0 for torts n turtles and 10.0 for lizards. I began using this bulb because of someone ( I will have to find the thread) recommended these bulbs from testing the mvb bulbs & tubes on the market and the T5Ho high output bulbs put out the highest UV. I don't think the Arcadia tubes & bulbs were in the mix of tested lights but I will have to go back and find the thread. Great thread of course I will use natural sunlight when possible but being in the cold north in the winter months its unfortunate that the fake sun will have to do. I plan on purchase on purchasing a UVB tester in the future but I don't have one now.

Attachments

• IMG_20150207_095532-1.jpg
    IMG_20150207_095532-1.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 16
Romania
Can you post a link of that thread? Thanks :)

I just noticed I accidentally erased a post...
Why I don't have an exoterra 5.0 reptiglo neon [ and will have one from sera ]? Because you can no longer find them in Romania and no one wants to import (allegedly)... do exoterra still makes them?

Last edited:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
UVB's should be about a 12''-15'' away. Any farther and the UVB dissipates. Closer, and your turtle will be getting a suntan ;)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Not necessarily.

I agree with Art, anyone relying on a bulb for UVB really needs a meter.
Hmm... I should take this back. The more I thought about it, I realized there's not a lot of supporting info about that. I created a thread. :D