What lizard makes a great pet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlah_22

5 Year Member
I want a lizard that's easy to tame and isn't very fast . I was thinking of a Leo , they are just so cute and small :)
I want something small , not a big fan of bearded dragons though . Any advice would be helpful :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I'm not sure what you consider small. But a lizard that is tame and not very fast and makes a great pet is the blue tongued skink lizard. Leopard geckos do also make great lizards. These are the two lizards I always recommend. I'm with you....I'm not a big beardie fan either.

The blue tongue skink is much larger than the leopard gecko though. Mine is about 2 feet long from nose to tail tip and is a fat guy.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I second the blue-tongued skink. Med-sized, slow, docile...very forgiving captives and can even be potty-trained!

J REED

5 Year Member
Whats wrong with Dragons? I have two and they are awesome...Great personalities. ..

Jeremy

1373809046692.jpg
Bugsy on the right is a leatherback...They both have alot of orange thats not showing in the cell phone pic.

Jeremy

1373809173510.jpg
Bugsy posing..lol

Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I too would suggest a bluetongue. If you want to go smaller then I say a crested gecko, they don't need supplemental heat (do fine at room temp), don't need special light, and don't need live food (they eat gecko pudding that is commonly available).

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Skink, steppe runner, or bearded dragon. I would def get a bearded dragon but if the size is a factor than I understand why you wouldn't want one.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
i've heard great things on the skink so I'd lead you on that direction, but leo's have so many different color options I can see why you'd go with that. and they are small. But if size wasn't a factor i'd lead you in the tegu direction :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Beardies rock hard....so I bet you can tell that was the species I was going to recommend....lol :D

However, there are a ton of others here than can offer you their choices as well....there are a lot of great lizard species for sure...

Karlah_22

5 Year Member
My main concern with getting a skink would be finding a good breeder , I don't like the whole thing of taking a animal from the wild . I mean breadies are cute and all but idk it's something weird about them . I think a Leo would be good right now if I could only decide on the colors I want it but thanks for the suggestions :)

J REED said:
Whats wrong with Dragons? I have two and they are awesome...Great personalities. ..

Jeremy

Bugsy on the right is a leatherback...They both have alot of orange thats not showing in the cell phone pic.

Jeremy

Bugsy posing..lol

Jeremy

Your beardies are adorable :)

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I love Leo's, have had mine for over 15years now and they are getting on in their age now, but still active. They make for awesome easy to take care of pets. Tanks do not have to be that big for one, a 25gal is plenty large enough for one with two hides made for them and a water bowl and decorations.

My female is a Mack snow and my male is a hypermelanistic Murphy patternless.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Karlah_22 said:
My main concern with getting a skink would be finding a good breeder , I don't like the whole thing of taking a animal from the wild . I mean breadies are cute and all but idk it's something weird about them . I think a Leo would be good right now if I could only decide on the colors I want it but thanks for the suggestions :)

J REED said:

Jeremy

Jeremy

Bugsy posing..lol

Jeremy

Your beardies are adorable :)

If you are looking for a good breeder, we have an excellant one right here on Tortoise Forum. Jeff G. He is top of the line.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Jeff G breeds skinks, also undergroundreptiles.com captive breeds all of their skinks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Karlah_22 said:
My main concern with getting a skink would be finding a good breeder

Send a PM to JeffG. That's his username here. He's a BTS breeder and a great guy. I have me of his babies, and its fantastic.

kristin_roman

5 Year Member
North Carolina
There are rankins dragons, they're very similar to beardies but only get half the size of the beardies! I have both a bearded dragon and a rankin. I take them both outside on small harnesses so they can explore there yard!

jonwarren97

5 Year Member
Two easy beginner lizards are Leopard Geckos and Crested Geckos. They are both very easy to look after although some people criticise Cresties as being too high maintenance with their humidity needs of 80%. Although I disagree with this, my first lizard was a Leopard and I still believe they are best as a beginner lizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.