What pool type thing for water?

babyhermanns

Location (City and/or State)
florida
ive seen multiple "pool or pond" looking things that people have used for their tortoises. i'd love to add one if i knew what it was called, how to make it/where to buy it.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
ive seen multiple "pool or pond" looking things that people have used for their tortoises. i'd love to add one if i knew what it was called, how to make it/where to buy it.
there's so many different water dishes, and the type of habitat will tell you what type of water bowl. In most of my indoor habitat's I use a paint roller pan...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size and species of tortoise are we talking about? What sort of enclosure? Are you talking about a water dish for the enclosure? Or a larger pool for walking around in outside? Or a soaking tub?

babyhermanns

florida
What size and species of tortoise are we talking about? What sort of enclosure? Are you talking about a water dish for the enclosure? Or a larger pool for walking around in outside? Or a soaking tub?
i have a baby hermanns, i was just looking into getting her a shallow dish type thing for her to walk in. i would only leave it there for a couple days a week, and clean it daily.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
i have a baby hermanns, i was just looking into getting her a shallow dish type thing for her to walk in. i would only leave it there for a couple days a week, and clean it daily.
Terra cotta plant saucers work well for that and I’d leave it available
to the tortoise all the the time just clean it regularly like you said

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What NorCal said. Get a terra cotta saucer, sink it into the substrate, and clean and refill it daily.

Most of the care info you find will be old and out-dated. Here is all the correct care info for your species: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't waste your money on those types of waterers you see in pictures. They are made for lizards and snakes. Stiff bodied shell animals, like tortoises, don't bend in the middle and those types of waterers could end up being a death bowl for your baby. The plant saucers, sunk down into the substrate, have slanted or sloped sides which make it easy for a baby tortoise to climb out safely.