IMG_20231027_154939~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
@SuzanneZ
I see nothing resembling a fungal issue on your Russian.
In fact fungus on a Russian is uncommon and so would fungus on a shell carapace.
Are you sure it isn't a burn injury or an other type of injury?
I don't see the area you are referring to.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
@SuzanneZ
In fact fungus on a Russian is uncommon and so would fungus on a shell carapace.
It is fairly impossible to see even in person. Have to feel the depression. I have concluded as of 5 minutes ago that it was an abscess that ruptured. Once, the second day, cloudy fluid poured out and dripped off her tail. Thickish, no odor. I put it off to being melting antibiotic ointment, but I'm not sure I was even using it then. I have been using it for the last 2 1/2 days. So just now I realized what it was. Do you think so?
@SuzanneZ

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
It is fairly impossible to see even in person. Have to feel the depression. I have concluded as of 5 minutes ago that it was an abscess that ruptured. Once, the second day, cloudy fluid poured out and dripped off her tail. Thickish, no odor. I put it off to being melting antibiotic ointment, but I'm not sure I was even using it then. I have been using it for the last 2 1/2 days. So just now I realized what it was. Do you think so?
As a first-time shell owner I had no idea what to do when the "dark place" changed, so I asked out in the forum and got helpful answers about shell rot. No one could see what I was describing. I could barely see it. Maybe I described badly. Doesn't matter. When the problem involved draining wound and sunken area, I realized this is more serious. Maybe an abscess ruptured.

Only thing to report now is it doesn't seem painful to her any more.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
As a first-time shell owner I had no idea what to do when the "dark place" changed, so I asked out in the forum and got helpful answers about shell rot. No one could see what I was describing. I could barely see it. Maybe I described badly. Doesn't matter. When the problem involved draining wound and sunken area, I realized this is more serious. Maybe an abscess ruptured.

Only thing to report now is it doesn't seem painful to her any more.
Some tortoises don't seem to show pain or distress. Especially when it's a recent tortoise and you don't have any experience as to how it acted "normally".
Many times we've had members that reported a tortoises seeming normal one day. Dead on the next day.
I'm not sure if an ultra experienced keeper would've seen an issue before it was too late or not.
Most tortoises that are seriously ill didn't get there overnight. And it's important to do a physical exam periodically and notice weight decreases or lowered activity levels. Differences in walking. Etc.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Some tortoises don't seem to show pain or distress. Especially when it's a recent tortoise and you don't have any experience as to how it acted "normally".
Many times we've had members that reported a tortoises seeming normal one day. Dead on the next day.
I'm not sure if an ultra experienced keeper would've seen an issue before it was too late or not.
Most tortoises that are seriously ill didn't get there overnight. And it's important to do a physical exam periodically and notice weight decreases or lowered activity levels. Differences in walking. Etc.
She's not dead. Her pain reaction was to move quickly away when I touched the area. I can touch it now without her moving away. She's being usual except for not eating since yesterday. Full moon did not help any of this.