What should I do?

Tyler Fulco

Location (City and/or State)
California
So recently a tortoise owner responded to my question of how my tortoise should hibernate. I will include photos of his message to me, and a photo of my tortoises box. IMG_5510.jpgIMG_5509.jpg

My tortoise is in a box full of hay that is in a coat closet with no activity or A/C. So what is your opinion? Should I keep him like he is, or do what the other guy told me?

Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the temperature in that box? No one can answer this question without that info.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So recently a tortoise owner responded to my question of how my tortoise should hibernate. I will include photos of his message to me, and a photo of my tortoises box. View attachment 229613View attachment 229614

My tortoise is in a box full of hay that is in a coat closet with no activity or A/C. So what is your opinion? Should I keep him like he is, or do what the other guy told me?

Thank you.
Like I told you in your other thread, the box needs to be full up to the top with hay - so the tortoise is completely covered with hay, and the lid is closed. The box needs to be cardboard because plastic allows for condensation to collect on it and cardboard doesn't. You need to check the temperature inside the hay, where the tortoise is, to see if it's between 40 and 45F degrees. Any cooler and you run the risk of frozen eyeballs. Any warmer and he doesn't go into the brumation state.

Tyler Fulco

California
Like I told you in your other thread, the box needs to be full up to the top with hay - so the tortoise is completely covered with hay, and the lid is closed. The box needs to be cardboard because plastic allows for condensation to collect on it and cardboard doesn't. You need to check the temperature inside the hay, where the tortoise is, to see if it's between 40 and 45F degrees. Any cooler and you run the risk of frozen eyeballs. Any warmer and he doesn't go into the brumation state.

Thank you very much for the info. How could can I take the temperature? He is in a closet so it’s not super cold.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you very much for the info. How could can I take the temperature? He is in a closet so it’s not super cold.

You can get a thermometer from Lowe's like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-Digital-Weather-Station/1000162483

It records the high and low temps and humidity. Place the thermometer in, on or next to the box. It needs to stay below 50 degrees all the time. 45 is better.

If its warmer than that, your tortoise is metabolizing its energy reserves too quickly and death or sickness is likely. They need to be kept either cold enough to hibernate properly, or warm enough to eat, digest and function. Anything in-between is a recipe for disaster. Room temp in a closet is usually in-between. Outdoors above ground is usually in-between in our warm and inconsistent climate here.

Tyler Fulco

California
You can get a thermometer from Lowe's like this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AcuRite-Digital-Weather-Station/1000162483

It records the high and low temps and humidity. Place the thermometer in, on or next to the box. It needs to stay below 50 degrees all the time. 45 is better.

If its warmer than that, your tortoise is metabolizing its energy reserves too quickly and death or sickness is likely. They need to be kept either cold enough to hibernate properly, or warm enough to eat, digest and function. Anything in-between is a recipe for disaster. Room temp in a closet is usually in-between. Outdoors above ground is usually in-between in our warm and inconsistent climate here.

Thank you for the info. I’m still a little bit confused because the previous owner has had him for a while and has done the same thing I’m doing. I’m just a little concerned. I don’t want to over think it either.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the info. I’m still a little bit confused because the previous owner has had him for a while and has done the same thing I’m doing. I’m just a little concerned. I don’t want to over think it either.

Most people don't do it right. Some of the tortoise manage to survive some how, but many of them die. I've seen so many of them die, that I try to help prevent it when I can.

When they hibernate in the wild they are deep underground and temperatures are cold and consistent. It can get 85 degrees on a January day, or 18 degrees on a January night, and the ground temp deep in their burrows out there does not fluctuate. When we put them in a closet or garage, or worse, let them "hibernate" above ground in a box outside, the temperature is consistently too warm and usually fluctuates a lot. This is really really bad for them.

Tyler Fulco

California
Most people don't do it right. Some of the tortoise manage to survive some how, but many of them die. I've seen so many of them die, that I try to help prevent it when I can.

When they hibernate in the wild they are deep underground and temperatures are cold and consistent. It can get 85 degrees on a January day, or 18 degrees on a January night, and the ground temp deep in their burrows out there does not fluctuate. When we put them in a closet or garage, or worse, let them "hibernate" above ground in a box outside, the temperature is consistently too warm and usually fluctuates a lot. This is really really bad for them.

So how should I hibernate him in the simplest way possible?