What Species Should I Get?

C.H.D Reptiles

I'm looking to get another species of Box Turtles what do y'all recommend? I already keep Eastern's (6.2.0) I'm having a hard time deciding between Three-Toed, Ornate, and Gulf Coast. Do y'all keep any of them if so can you show pictures, and your experience with them, and what you recommend?

DSCN3345.JPG DSCN3347.JPG DSCN3349.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
At one time I had at least one of every U.S. box turtle. I had trouble keep the ornata alive, so I adopted them out before I killed them all. For looks - I like the easterns. I think they are the prettiest of all. For personality - I like the 3 toe and the gulf coast. They follow me around whenever I'm in their yard, and just look so cute the way they stretch their neck out to watch what I'm doing. For the rarity of it - I like the Floridas. I have 2 adult males and a few years ago I bought a couple hatchlings from a member here who lives on the east coast. Turns out they're male too. So I'm still in the market for some female Floridas. Last summer an older fellow here in town gave me his whole collection of box turtles which included three juvenile Floridas. They're still too young to sex, but I have my fingers crossed.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Ornates are probably the smallest but some of them have attitudes. 3 toed have some great personalities and typically aren't shy.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I've kept 3 toeds and gulf coasts. Both are great, but the gulf coasts are my favorites. Specifically the black ones from the Florida panhandle.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hello, I like the enclosure! Looks like you have enough area for plenty more enclosures. I'd take Yvonne's thinking and get all of N.A. Box Turtles. Why discriminate, right:) Then, tackle a terrapene carolina mexicana or a terrapence carolina yucatana, then start working your way to getting some Cuora's(can't go wrong with a flavomarginata)......sorry I caught myself dreaming there for a minute.