What substrate should we be using?

Chipmunk

Location (City and/or State)
Littlehampton
Hi,
I have a little 3 year old Hermann’s tort and we are unsure of what substrate we should be using. In the past we have used wood chips and have been told that it is a bad substrate because when wet it breeds bacteria by this website: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/substrates.html However we have started using a mixture of soft play sand and top soil and have been told that this can cause health problems. Is there a better substrate we should be using
Thanks ?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Please get rid of the sand they can eat it and get impacted. Welcome and post pictures of your tortoise, what's it name?

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
The article actually isn’t too far off, just a bit too doomsday. They do (kind of) recommend the right types of wood. Orchid and cypress barks are resistant to decay but hold humidity well. All of the people that I trust recommend orchid or cypress.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
I have a little 3 year old Hermann’s tort and we are unsure of what substrate we should be using. In the past we have used wood chips and have been told that it is a bad substrate because when wet it breeds bacteria by this website: http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/substrates.html However we have started using a mixture of soft play sand and top soil and have been told that this can cause health problems. Is there a better substrate we should be using
Thanks ?
What size is your tortoise. They all grow at different rates.

Babies do best on hand packed damp coco coir. Once they reach about 3-4 inches, I switch them to fine grade orchid bark.

Chipmunk

Littlehampton
What size is your tortoise. They all grow at different rates.

Babies do best on hand packed damp coco coir. Once they reach about 3-4 inches, I switch them to fine grade orchid bark.
Shell is 10cm, not sure how much that is in inches though