What temp is your K. erosa or K. homeana

Status
Not open for further replies.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SW Tn
Was wondering at what temp your K. erosa or homeana is most active?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
high 70's to mid 80's is my experience when they are active. Well and of course at night and early morning.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
RE: What temp is your K. erosa or K. homeana

For mine, I find it in the 70s, start getting into the upper 80s and they then slow back down.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi

K. homeana, also most active in the lower-mid 70s. I find that barometric pressure matters a lot too; misting usually increases activity but when a storm is blowing in it sure seems like they can feel it. (I have an old school "weather station" with a temp, humidity, and pressure gauge right next to the hingeback tubs so I have a general idea of when things are changing even though the gauges themselves aren't terribly accurate.)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa

chairman said:
K. homeana, also most active in the lower-mid 70s. I find that barometric pressure matters a lot too; misting usually increases activity but when a storm is blowing in it sure seems like they can feel it. (I have an old school "weather station" with a temp, humidity, and pressure gauge right next to the hingeback tubs so I have a general idea of when things are changing even though the gauges themselves aren't terribly accurate.)
:cool: I have also found this to be true.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn

Jacqui said:
For mine, I find it in the 70s, start getting into the upper 80s and they then slow back down.

Thanks for the response!! When I first received them, I kept their enclosure mid 70's to 80's, but they didn't seem to do much. After opening their door to their outside enclosure they only were active at night when it dropped to low 70's. Amazingly when temps dropped into the 60's at night is when I saw breeding. I allow them to go in and out as they please. I have caught one pair roaming around at night when it was around 58. I have kept a close eye on everyone and no signs of distress. Now since they have destroyed every plant in their enclosure they are inside.

Didn't know if anyone else's seem to enjoy such low temps.

chairman said:

I would give anything for one of those!!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

Hingebacks of these two types, make you throw out the "rules of tortoise keeping". :D This is one of the reasons we had so many casualties in the early years. We are only just now starting to begin to understand these guys and what they really do want and need.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi

safari_lass1 said:

chairman said:
(I have an old school "weather station" with a temp, humidity, and pressure gauge right next to the hingeback tubs so I have a general idea of when things are changing even though the gauges themselves aren't terribly accurate.)

I would give anything for one of those!!!

LOL, I bought mine for $1 at goodwill. I calibrate the thermometer/hygrometer occasionally using a digital meter and rely on weather channel to set the pressure.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn

chairman said:
LOL, I bought mine for $1 at goodwill. I calibrate the thermometer/hygrometer occasionally using a digital meter and rely on weather channel to set the pressure.

I probably have spent enough money on different ones to hired an engineer to make my own to patent lol. Nothing really seems 100% reliable. I bought a digital thermostat for my room where I house the very sensitive dart frogs and hingebacks, so kind of important to maintain a pretty close temp range. Today I walked in and almost was knocked off my feet it was so hot. The screen read 72, so the heater stayed on, but it was well over 90 degrees. So thankful nothing was killed. I already know the first night below 40 and every night below freezing, I will be up constantly checking temps.

Thank goodness the new barn will have built in thermostats.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Heres how I do it. Stay as simple as possible. I have built buildings years back when I first got into mass tortoise aquisitions and needed big enclosures, and used super expensive very difficult and super complicated stuff like thermometers, and vent fans that are wired to thermometers to suck out heat when its too hot. They never work, and never will. I moved to a more simple way of things, and it works Fantatsic. You could try a ranco or helix t-stat those usually work very well.

safari_lass1

5 Year Member
SW Tn

tortadise said:
Heres how I do it. Stay as simple as possible. I have built buildings years back when I first got into mass tortoise aquisitions and needed big enclosures, and used super expensive very difficult and super complicated stuff like thermometers, and vent fans that are wired to thermometers to suck out heat when its too hot. They never work, and never will. I moved to a more simple way of things, and it works Fantatsic. You could try a ranco or helix t-stat those usually work very well.
That is why I am going to hire you to make the plans for mine :) lol

safari_lass1 said:

Hey!! You can be a tortoise barn consultant :)) Make millions!!!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

safari_lass1 said:
tortadise said:

safari_lass1 said:

Hey!! You can be a tortoise barn consultant :)) Make millions!!!

I would do that. Wouldnt take me too long either to design one. Gimme the species, how many, and what size area your barn can be placed.

Status
Not open for further replies.